Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well over the weekend managed to sort out the wiring for my new head unit....

Almost works how I imagined.

Its a EBay Item head unit.

Double Din
7" TFT Display With Touch Screen
TV
DVD
SAT NAV
BLUE TOOTH
VIDEO In/Out
etc
etc

I have a 12 fused feed from the battery to a junction box under the center console storage compartment, right next to the hand brake.

This then feeds a 12v cig light in the armrest storage compartment and 2 switches. 1 to feed the front mounted camera and the other for future expansion.

I then have Video/Audio Feeds in the armrest. Camera AV, Head unit AV in and AV out.

Just need to tidy the wiring up and mount the switches neatly than also mount the USB as well then we are all done.

I recorded some footage on the way home. It very sweet I can record video as it runs through the hard drive first, and then the head unit can do something else.....

bring on a track day.....

half my drive home before I got stuck in traffic:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nPs1i7ZQ7dg

Mic definatley has to be moved

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
Ace! We definitely want more details on this system (and of course equipment brands and models, and so on)....

I've been thinking of adding a front mounted camera for a year now, but haven't found a suitable one....

Also, very interested in the hard drive recording setup.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated!

:cheers:

·
BEDFORDSHIRE......
999 Posts
Ace! We definitely want more details on this system (and of course equipment brands and models, and so on)....

I've been thinking of adding a front mounted camera for a year now, but haven't found a suitable one....

I also would love some product info and some tips on what to do. I am familiar with electrics and would love to set up a system like that. If you wouldnt mind of course?

vini

·
Gloucestershire Area Rep
1,478 Posts

:iagree: please Stusy give us more detailes if dont mind of course :dogpile:

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right here is the layout and all the stuff I bought......

I'll get some pics when I get a chance....

Layout:-

Very basic, but its very simple. Getting the cables around the car is another matter though.

Camera. Its one of the best bullet cameras you can buy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300148036518&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Then the hard drive which allows you to record direct from AV. Comes WITHOUT a 2.5" hard drive which is extra. I had a spare 60G kicking around.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200149337636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010

Then finally the head unit. This caused me no end of grief as the spec I received wasn't the spec I ordered, they had made a mistake on the AV in/out which is what I really wanted (specified 2 A/V in and 2 A/V out, which would have made it 3-Zone, but alas NO). Plus found that when I was wiring it up that Video In and Audio right were round the wrong way.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-DIN-Multime...8323309QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38774QQcmdZViewItem
now its in though its working a treat apart from a dodgy connection on the rear left speaker.

I'll get some pics of the install when I get some time during my lunch.

Moved the Mic today and drove to work recording to see if its any better. The main thing that's going to take time to setup as I want to hear the rumble of the exhaust a bit more and not some much of the tappet/injector click.....

Enjoy.

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pics
Just about Spot the camera

Close up of camera

12V Cig Lighter feed inside armrest.

Audio Video feeds. Camera and Mic Out (flying Lead), Head Unit AV in (Panel Mounts) and Head Unit AV out (Flying Leads)

12V Junction box and temporary switch. Building air craft style switches for camera and flamer kit.

Picture on the head unit.

Overall a job well done. Just to tidy up and its finished. The cables are very long for the hard drive so custom ones should be built, plus a custom mount to aid shock proofing. Also with the lid closed the hard drive may get too hot. I may put a 12v fan where the rear ashtray is to aid cooling.

enjoy

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
this is pretty cool, would be great for track days/other interesting events :D

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I know its been a project for ages, but trying to find a head unit that was compatible was hard enough, even then it wasn't, but I managed.

Update. Got the switches sorted. Just need to fit them.....

Switches down

Switches up

Need to get the usb mounted now. may have to wait till later as I want to get these in....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts