Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Owner - Hi all - Help before I go crazzyyyyy

Firstly a big HI to all,

I have just sold an immaculate 03 Impreza and bought a car that I have always wanted (OK I really wanted a R34 GTR but funds dont allow so I bought this) R34 GTT Factory Nismo bodykit, 18"s, lowered, looks nice, however....

I have a strange noise coming from the gearbox, and it is difficult to engage 1-2nd gear change when cold. I also have squeaky brakes. Really started to put me off enjoying the car. I have trawled the forums and a big thanks to all as it seems to be fairly common, and I think that I can live with it. Now the new question...

Rattly trim / dash. Both door panels seem to rattle constantly, somewhere above passenger door possibly, and what seems like somewhere underneath the guages on the dash (but this is only when I go over a bump - unfortunately where it is on lowered springs that is nearly all the time!). It doesnt seem to be the stereo that is rattling, or behind there. Its firmly fixed.

I think that I am going to have to try and take the trim off and somehow stop it rattling or it will drive me crazy. Does anyone have the same experience, or can anyone give some advice as to how easy it is to remove the trim (bearing in mind that although I am fairly logical and thorough, im not mechanichally minded!).

Cheers guys,

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/images/smiliesnew/feedback.gif
:feedback:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
hi and welcome to the skyline smile, did you not get youre free ear protectors.....
no reaily whats she like to drive..........................

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
welcome to the club justy i see your having fun already cant coment on the noises as i dont drive a 34

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
welcome to the club justy75

but sadly as above i can't help either as i have an R33

do you have any pic's of the beaut:drool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi!

Nice to meet you all.

I will try and get a pic up of the beast today.

Im going to take it for a drive and see if I can at least isolate some of the rattles - well i've got to start somewhere!!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
The window squeek may be the rubber seal on the door. Rub some vaseline around the rubber where the window seals. It also stops the window freezing to the rubber if its ever out in the cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Justy75, I am new to this forum myself.

Does the gear change improve as the car warms up? If so, try changing the oil in the gearbox.
Use only the approved spec of oil and resist the temptation of adding oil additives(eg., Slick 50 ect...).
Also check gearbox & engine mounts. If one of these deteriorates, it can throw off the alignment of the engine & gearbox. Lets hope there is nothing terminal in the box!

Rattly trim- Nissan's are well built cars. If the door and dash rattles, this means that someone has taken these items off.
The rattles are caused by either loose or broken trim clips and/or mis-alignment of trim pieces.
To reduce the rattles (you will never get them all- I know this from experience!) remove the suspected trim item and inspect all the clips. Give the trim item a good shake and tighten any fitting you find. Also check behind where the trim resides, eg., inside the dash or in the door.
Use a proper trim removal tool (looks like a tack remover)- available from Halfords.
Try to obtain a workshop manual for your R34, these have expoded diagrams of interior fittings (showing type and location of clips and screw's ect.)
Good luck with the rattles, trying to find these is time consuming, its almost as bad as trying to find water leaks:eek:

Squeaky brakes- what make of brake pads are fitted?
High performance pads are known to be noisey and squeak when cold. Try removing the pads and coating the rear of pad with a good layer of copper grease. If your experience of working on cars is limited, best not to try this yourself. Brakes are safety critical item.
As for not being mechanically minded, get a manual and have a go at the smaller jobs.
In this way you will build up your knowledge and experience(also your tool kit grows).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks R32SID

Thanks a lot for the help. I will look in Halfords for a trim remover and give the doors a go. I was thinking about dynamatting (or some other sound proofing) the door as well - if ive got the trim off it may worth it. My worry is the dash, its only when I go over some bumps and it sounds like its either under the dash pods, or above the stereo, so when I change the stereo over I will have a good look around in there to see if there is anything visible. I will try and find a diagram on taking the dash apart though I fear that its something inside that may have come loose.
I agree and think that the best thing to do is to book the car in to have the gearbox oil changed, and get someone to have a look at the pads - afterall it may just be that they are worn and would need changing anyway. The gearbox noise does seem to quieten down after things have warmed up, and certainly it does not change gear very well when its cold - very notchy and struggles with 1st - 2nd change. I am hoping that this is just a trait that can be minimalised with a decent gearbox oil change - I hear that the Redline Shockproof stuff is good and seems to do the trick,although I dont know whether it is better than the standard oil, what do you think? I really hope that is just an oil issue and nothing more serious....

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Club.

It sounds like you have a few little faults, but nothing to detract from the skyline smile.

Where abouts in Dorset are you.

Have you got you name down for:-

Banzai Rolling Road
Xmas Meal (If we can find somewhere)
Xmas Karting Event
December Meet (maybe moved to Sunday)
Castle Coombe Action Day (Excelent day out)
National Skyline Event
Night Time Brag Run
Nurburg Ring 2008

I'll send you a PM with the lionks in as well. Plus add you too my contact list so you get teh information in the future.

Regards
Stuart

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Alright Justy? Pretty much what r32sid said regarding the trim rattles, pull things apart and have a good look. The centre of the dash comes out fairly handy, you pull out the ashtray, open the screw in there, lift out the gearstick gaiter, reveals 2 more screws, and for the top you pull out the a/c vents just under your gauges with your trim removal tool to avoid marking. Lay down a towel as well or something if you can as all the sharp edges on the frame that holds the radio, a/c controls and junk box (Or whatever you call it :D) can mark the trim quite easily. It's a piece of cake really.

I use Motul 75W90 performance gearoil but if your gearbox is pretty bad then you'll have to go with the redline shockproof, from the gospel according to bruce-m :D (Man knows his stuff!) What sort of mileage have you got up? You'd change it yourself without too much hassle if you can get access to a lift/pit and a gearbox oil pump. Open your oil inlet nut first, I think it's on the right sort of half way up the gearbox as you look at the front of the car iirc. Make sure you open that first as there's no point draining the oil if you can't put more in :)

As for your brakes are they still squealing? Firstly do the discs look like vynil records? With substantial grooves in them like. If not try a bit of copper grease on the back as dust down as r32sid said. Be careful not to get any grease on the discs or the face of the pad as this can affect braking performance, and not in a good way!!! Also, if there's fairly new pads on there then look and see what the lip is like along the outer edge of the disc. If this is making the pad ride uneven onn the disc then you will have mucho squealo. Let us know how you get on and don't be afraid to have a go yourself, nothing ventured nothing gained! And if you cock it up then everyone on here will do our best to sort you out. :D

Welcome along to the forum btw! COME ON THE GTT DRIVERS YYYAAAAA!!!! lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers scotsman

Your GTT looks nice - a really clean example.
Cheers for the help mate, Im going to make some headway in sorting out these few niggles..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts