Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be giving my new r32 a good inspection after I pick it up from the port and thinking of just replacing the plugs also. Was looking at installing NGK BCPR6ES-11
Is this a good plug for a fairly stock RB26?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Those are copper plugs right? I can't claim to be expert enough to know whether they're fine for the RB but I can at least tell you the stock plugs are platinum NGK PFR6A-11s. I've heard recommendations for NGK Iridium BCPR7EIX as a great replacement. My car came with NGK Iridiums in the 6 heat range but they're hard to find in the US so I went with the BCPR7s. I did a write-up on basic R32 maintenance needs here and the spark plugs are listed:

23GT: Fixing What Ain't Broke: R32 Skyline Preventive Maintenance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have found, they are a copper version of the stock plugs. I see no advantage to using platinum plugs. Copper is a better conductor and I've been using them in 600+ HP cars for years.
Thanks for the link. Some good reading and info.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
The only difference between copper, platinum and iridium is service life, the more precious the metal the longer they last........and the more they cost.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
From what I have found, they are a copper version of the stock plugs. I see no advantage to using platinum plugs. Copper is a better conductor and I've been using them in 600+ HP cars for years.
Thanks for the link. Some good reading and info.
I've got copper core BCPR7ES11 on the way. Plugs and fuel filter this weekend.
All plugs have copper core, and heat range 7 is a bit cold for a stock motor.

·
12,294 Posts
Plus 1 with NGK Iridium BCPR7EIX . It would surely last longer and better fuel efficiency.
No. I've known people replace iridium plugs sooner than I've replaced copper plugs. In theory they're supposed to last longer, but don't always, and even then, twice the life doesn't mean they're worth four times the price.

As for the fuel efficiency, again, no. An iridium coating isn't somehow going to make an engine any more fuel efficient. If anything, iridium isn't as good a conductor as copper, so potentially the spark created may actually be a little weaker. Again, they're a waste of money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No. I've known people replace iridium plugs sooner than I've replaced copper plugs. In theory they're supposed to last longer, but don't always, and even then, twice the life doesn't mean they're worth four times the price.

As for the fuel efficiency, again, no. An iridium coating isn't somehow going to make an engine any more fuel efficient. If anything, iridium isn't as good a conductor as copper, so potentially the spark created may actually be a little weaker. Again, they're a waste of money.
Hmmm OK, I'm just sharing my thought and experience in using Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Life saver thank you GSX-R35 website full of good information

Those are copper plugs right? I can't claim to be expert enough to know whether they're fine for the RB but I can at least tell you the stock plugs are platinum NGK PFR6A-11s. I've heard recommendations for NGK Iridium BCPR7EIX as a great replacement. My car came with NGK Iridiums in the 6 heat range but they're hard to find in the US so I went with the BCPR7s. I did a write-up on basic R32 maintenance needs here and the spark plugs are listed:

23GT: Fixing What Ain't Broke: R32 Skyline Preventive Maintenance

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got NGK BKR7EIX for my GTR, then discovered they might be the wrong ones for my engine because they're one heat range cooler than stock, should i be fine or should I stick with the stock heat of 6. Stock engine boosting .8 bar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts