Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to these forms, but it seems like a great skyline community. I recently moved to Japan from America, and since Nissan Skylines have been my favorite car for quite some time, I couldn't help but buy one. I found a R33 GTS-4 for a fairly decent price, even though it's slow it's really clean and has very low miles and the price was right. Unfortunately this seems to be quite a rare model and I can't find much information on it. I'm planning to do Intake and Exhaust first, however the only exhaust I can find for ENR33 is Kakimoto. Does anyone know if exhausts designed for other models (i.e. GTS, or R32 GTS-4) will fit this car? Also if anyone happens to know if Z32 or GT-R brakes fit this car, it'd be appreciated =) Thanks in advance!

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
hi. put up some pics mate, i have the saloon gts4 r33 and when i get back in from work i'll fill in the blanks as much as i can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, thanks so much! Right now the car is still in the garage, having the shakken inspection being done. I'll have it this Monday and I'll be sure to throw up pics!

·
Registered
684 Posts
JCI inspections suck! I feel for ya. Cost too much money as well. I would recommend that you keep the old parts, (like exhaust stuff). Unless you find a shady shop that will pass the car. That is how mine past the inspections for a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is rather annoying. In the states it's expected to drive away with your new car the same day you purchase it, I've been waiting about 8 days already now. Also check out the other thread you replied to broph.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
apologies for spelling but 15 hours at work and knackered!

right back from work, so here in all there glory are the blanks promised ealier ..duly filled.

The gts4 is as im sure youll know a 4wd gts. It has the Attessa 4wd system which is the same as that fitted to the r32/3 gen gtr. (not sure on 34) there is a wet clutch inthe trandfer box off the gear box that tranfers the drive tothe front when the rear slips (lsd as standard). However it is a permenant 4wd (some power always goes to front) so rolling roads etc will need to have 4wd capacity to run it.

the ride height is a little higher than standard gts due to the 4wd geometry.

the floor plan and thereefire the exhaust bears more resmebelnce unsprisingly to the gtr. so for exhasuts and the like look at gtr stuff and see about changingg to fit the rb25de.

As these came in non turbo spec they had as standard a four bolt hub, 114.3 x4 although many owners change this to the more common five bolt ..leading to confusion over standard fit. similarly some owners droop in turbo lumps whic will muddy the waters.

the rb25de.

twin cam version of the 6 cyclinder engine. it can be turboed with aftermarket stuff up to 350bhp ...but the internal oilways etc in block are different and the compression ratio is higher on the non turbo so not a cheap job.

standard make between 186 and 200 bhp. (round 150 at wheels) can be tunned with

spitfire coilpacks
induction
highflow cat or decat
adjustable cam pulleys.

piggy back ecu ...

to get around 230 ish.

one other point is that the read diff gearing onthe gts4 is lower than the gtr so if you put a (twin) turbo lump in the acceleration will be quicker inthe lower gears.

and thats about it ...look up gts4 on wiki ..lots of info on there .....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a ton Hesh, I've found info on the GTS-4 online, but it was mostly just engine and exterior specs, nothing as comprehensive about upgrading it and the like. I had no idea that there was always some power going to the front either, interesting. Is modifying a GT-R exhaust really my only option? I've only found GT-R exhausts in 3"+ piping and I really don't want to go over 2.5" for N/A.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Did you do the RB25DET swap yourself chiba? If so, how difficult was it?
Well, as far as I can see there wasn't really a complete engine-swap. They (the previous owner in Japan) fitted the head of the RB25DET on the standard RB25DE and that is about it. I heard it is quite a common modification, but beware... in this configuration I guess it has a slightly higher compression-ration. Hesh told me that the standard internals of the RB25DE cannot handle more then 350bhp safely, so don't over do it with the tuning.

My one pushes out around 273bhp. GReddy FMIC and front-pipe (but still has cat.) this was all where on the car when I bought it. Now it has a Pipercross inductionkit which I will change into an Apexi one this weekend.

Until now, proven to be a very reliable car (mileage is now: 114.000kms) . Already drove more than 10.000kms in about 9 months, no problem. :worshippy:

By the way, I also didn't know that always some of the power goes to the
front. :D

:drivin:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
oops my bad (i was tired) modding a 3 inch exhasut wont work as youll loose back pressure. (aitch did alot of trial and error on his gts25s on exhaust sizes for the na.)

what i ment is the exhasut routing will be more akin tothe gtr...as the floor plan is different tothe 2wd gts. i have the added problem that mine has four doors!

im off to get an induction kit today ...and plan some spitfire coilpacks, kevlar cam belt with adjustable pulleys and some kind of new exhaust, (though like you duno what)

im then going to sort the suspension and handleing.

id definatly advise some strut braces (£100) so you can make the most of the 4wd.

oh..and as soon as you can get the oils cahnged in the diffs, my front one was black as tar ....change your clutch fluid too......mines desperate...

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
power tothe front .....some of the power will always go tothe front in any four wheel drive, unless there is a way to make the front hubs "freewheeling" as on early landrovers. this ment that although the front prop would turn, the hubs weren directly conected, and would turn independently ......great for keeping fuel consumption down.

as the skyline uses a clutch and is permanently conected, there is always transmission "drag" through the transmission.tranfer box/clutch and therefore some drive goes tothe front.

how much is anyones guess...untill the clutch engages due to slip detecked in the rear wheels. the gtr has a torque split gauge but we gts4 owners have to guess. lol!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chiba and Hesh, thanks a lot. You guys have been, by far, the most comprehensive resource on R33 GTS-4's that I've found so far. In 2 days I'll have the car in my possession and I'll put up some pics!

·
Registered
822 Posts
@K2Ska311: Really looking forward to see the pictures of your GTS4. As you already know now... a rare Skyline indeed!! :wave:

@hesh: Changed (almost) all fluids the other time, but I forgot the front diff. :whip: . Also the other day we couldn't find it. (now, I know where it is). Since your one was black as tar, it makes me worry, so I will make an appointment with the garage next week, to have this changed asap. The front diff. also uses 80W90? (same as rear diff.?).

This is becoming a great thread for the GTS4-owners. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was happily surprised when the garage called me 2 days early saying the car was ready. As promised, here's some pics.

·
Registered
822 Posts
@K2Ska311: Wow! Is the right word!

She looks really really clean and I love the looks of your GTS4, nice wheels also.

My wife (Japanese) could see that you live around Niigata area, right? :)

GREAT RIDE!! :smoker:

By the way, tomorrow I will go to the second (Dutch) Skyline meeting. We will meet and cruise around South part of Holland and Mid-Germany. I will post pics of tomorrow on this forum later. :cheers:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
nice! ...as to the diff oil off the top of my head 75/90 would be ok ..(i used a castrol brand. give oilman on here a call he will know or know someone who knows.

just rember the oil in rear has to be suitable for lsd, most new oild are, but older ones needed a friction modifier to work correctly....

and as for a garage doing it ...get her up on stands/ramps look underneath and find the filler and drain holes, then do the job yourself and simle as the 50 quid labour charge goes back intothe "shineythings" fund.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
hwoarang, i coulda sworn sideswipe was red? atleast he was in gen 1.......(oooh look a spotter geek ......oh no its me in mirror lol)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick, stupid question: At what point does the 4WD light activate? Easy answer I'm sure is when the 4wd kicks in, but I took the car out to play last night in the rain and got the back free a couple times, but only the slip light came on. Does it take a decent amount of time of slipping for the 4wd to kick in?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts