Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I’ve just bought my first Skyline, a Silver 1996 r33 GTR V-Spec but have a few questions regarding some issues I have.

I had to jump start the car to get it started (fairly normal for a Skyline, especially having been on a boat for a while!) I left it running for about 20 minutes and stopped the car for about a minute.
I tried to restart the car, but it had no power at all – not even a dim light anywhere. I jumped it again and began the drive home (about 70 miles).
The car felt fine through town at very low revs but when I got on the motorway I noticed two things, firstly the car would seem to lose all power whilst driving i.e. the dash seems to reset and various warning lights come on for about a second and the stereo powers down and second, the car is very hesitant and lumpy when accelerating and feels much slower than it should, the turbo boost pressure looks fairly normal (I think) it sits a little below 0 whilst driving normally and hits nearly full boost under hard acceleration.
Got the car home and would have expected it have taken some charge but it was still completely dead!!

Any Ideas?

The car seems fairly standard and is running the standard air box.

Sorry to have to ask for help in my first post but I thought someone may have experienced something similar and it may save me a trip to Abbey!

Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Japtastic, I've left a message for someone selling a Bosch Skyline battery in the parts section on this forum. Hopefully he still has it!
I've been trying to get my head around this power problem and couldn't decide between the alternator and the battery. I thought the alternator would have provided enough power to stop the power cutting out whilst on the motorway?

P.S. I just tried to download the R33 Workshop Manual in your sig but it appears the monthly download limit has been hit. Do you know of anywhere else I could find a copy?

Cheers

·
Sir Snap a lot
1,093 Posts
When i collected mine from the docks a few months back it was dead too, I got a jump start and it did take some charge but I bought a new battery for it a few days later....... problem solved........... for a while that is, I left the lights on while at my parents for about 30mins and totally killed the battery so now I have replaced it with a 460amp battery.
the car jump into life now every time I start it.

As for it loosing power while driving it home............ one of the others will have to answer that, I've no idea what could be causing it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It could all be linked, I would fit a new battery ASAP and see how you get on ofter that. There is no need to buy a specific "skyline" battery, just take the old one off and any good motor spares should be able to match a new one up for you. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that a micra (of all things!) battery fits? correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bigchief had the same kind of problems on our way to Germany, a new battery solved them, so i would definately go with that!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yep, don't laugh folks, R33 GTR battery = Micra battery, a direct replacement if you don't want to faff about with the battery tray, connectors, the clamp and the rest of the rear end. You should be able to remove and fit it without removing the rear cross bar.

Again, don't laugh, Halfords sell them, look through their little car tables for a Jap Micra (not the Euro Micra) and there you'll have it.

Then get yourself a trickle charger if you are not going to be using the car for long periods (like a week or two). The CTEK ones are simply superb, you wire the connector permanently onto the battery, and during winter keeps the battery topped up lovely.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Micra battery should do the trick BUT before you do go and buy one, get a volt meter and check how many volts are being put acoss the battery with the engine running should be 13.5 to 14 Volts

·
South Central Area Rep
270 Posts
battery will do it i had similar prob battery would not hold charge new micra battery from halfords will do it

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Your alternator sounds fine. You wouldn't have had the power to keep the car ticking over or to drive it home if it wasn't doing its job. A bad battery would cause problems with signal conditioning etc. even though the car is getting power from the alternator, you would still get problems with your radio, dash lights etc. Just don't forget to have your front wheels straight and leave the car ticking over on the spot for about 15 mins. or so when you put in your new battery. You'll probably get a decent enough micra battery from a breakers yard handy enough.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
Hi all, I’ve just bought my first Skyline, a Silver 1996 r33 GTR V-Spec but have a few questions regarding some issues I have.

I had to jump start the car to get it started (fairly normal for a Skyline, especially having been on a boat for a while!) I left it running for about 20 minutes and stopped the car for about a minute.
I tried to restart the car, but it had no power at all – not even a dim light anywhere. I jumped it again and began the drive home (about 70 miles).
The car felt fine through town at very low revs but when I got on the motorway I noticed two things, firstly the car would seem to lose all power whilst driving i.e. the dash seems to reset and various warning lights come on for about a second and the stereo powers down and second, the car is very hesitant and lumpy when accelerating and feels much slower than it should, the turbo boost pressure looks fairly normal (I think) it sits a little below 0 whilst driving normally and hits nearly full boost under hard acceleration.
Got the car home and would have expected it have taken some charge but it was still completely dead!!

Any Ideas?

The car seems fairly standard and is running the standard air box.

Sorry to have to ask for help in my first post but I thought someone may have experienced something similar and it may save me a trip to Abbey!

Many thanks
i had the exact same thing had to jump start it and when i thought it was charged enough, it still had a misfire and down on power, so i changed the battery and it solved all my problems.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts