Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted a 1000w sub and amp 2 days ago, while i was out driving today i could smell a electrical type smell. The amp felt pretty hot and the live wire was quite warm and it had quite a strong smell. Can anyone help me out on this, i have disconected it now cause im worried it might catch fire.

T

·
0 Posts
Ok, Please tell me the setup. I.e. Are you running OFC power and erath cables with a fuse from the battery in the boot. This is important. Where abouts in the midlands are you as i can help you rectify this problem.:cheers: :cheers:

T

·
0 Posts
(Cheef - how would ofc help?)
OFC=Oxygen Free Copper, contains no oxygen hence forth cannot heat up and lose power.
Resistance is by product of heat, More resistance is dangerous without a fail safe e.g. a suitable fuse.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the quick reply, just using a standard wiring kit, think i got some of the thick power cable nocking about somewhere tho. i live in rugby mate.

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
forgot to say im using a 25amp spade fuse cause 10 amp kept blowin

Was the 10 amp part of the kit? If so, then the power feed is also probably rated at 10 amp - by upping the fuse you're allowing more current to flow and the cable doesn't like it.

Fuses are there to protect the cable, not the bit of kit on the end.

Get some decent thick cable, rated for the fuse value or more (note the amp instructions should say what fuse to use, hence you can then get cable to suit).

Thicker the better. :D

T

·
0 Posts
For a 1000W set up use 8 guage cable with a 25amp fuse, a very short earth strap and make sure your earth is chassis grounded, for overall protection and heat dissipation.

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
OFC=Oxygen Free Copper, contains no oxygen hence forth cannot heat up and lose power.
Resistance is by product of heat, More resistance is dangerous without a fail safe e.g. a suitable fuse.
I do apologise for being blunt, but that's rubbish.

According to the hi-fi buffs, OFC copper allows audio signals to be transmitted with less distortion. Which it may well do (I'm too much of an engineer to agree really, although I don't have 'golden ears' and a mega quality hi-fi system and listening room etc.).

Anyway, resistance of copper is affected by purity to a certain extent, but I doubt that there's any measurable resistance difference between normal cable copper and OFC.

Whatever, this is just nerdy stuff :sorry:

Power = heat = current times current times resistance. More current in the same bit of cable means more heat. Thicker cable means less resistance so more current can flow for the same heat. Thicker cable also means less volts dropped along the cable hence more for the amplifier, which is good.

Ooops, that's just nerdy stuff too. :sorry:

I'll get my coat (white, with biros and a calculator in the pocket, lol) :cheers:

T

·
0 Posts
I do apologise for being blunt, but that's rubbish.

According to the hi-fi buffs, OFC copper allows audio signals to be transmitted with less distortion. Which it may well do (I'm too much of an engineer to agree really, although I don't have 'golden ears' and a mega quality hi-fi system and listening room etc.).

Anyway, resistance of copper is affected by purity to a certain extent, but I doubt that there's any measurable resistance difference between normal cable copper and OFC.

Whatever, this is just nerdy stuff :sorry:

Power = heat = current times current times resistance. More current in the same bit of cable means more heat. Thicker cable means less resistance so more current can flow for the same heat. Thicker cable also means less volts dropped along the cable hence more for the amplifier, which is good.

Ooops, that's just nerdy stuff too. :sorry:

I'll get my coat (white, with biros and a calculator in the pocket, lol) :cheers:
LOL, Of course i was trying to give an answer to our fellow skyline freind that is simply bite size, and understandable without condesending or insulting his inteligence. (white, with biros and a calculator in the pocket, LOL!!!!):cheers:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thankyou people, first thing tomorow i shall replace the crappy wire with some thick stuff and see how that goes.

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
I always thought OFC was able to stop oxides forming over the connections thus keep the resitance as low as possible and this only realy comes into its own on audio and not power....

stuff to do with transmission skin depth over a transmission line and all that

<geek with HND in communications and transmission systems goes back to calculating pie to infinite>

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
...<geek with HND in communications and transmission systems goes back to calculating pie to infinite>
I know you from the polynomal-quadratic-factorised-prime-number forum, don't I?

Fun times, especially when Cuthbert quoted pythagarus incoreectly. How we laughed, almost spilt my weak lemon drink... ;)

T

·
0 Posts
I know you from the polynomal-quadratic-factorised-prime-number forum, don't I?

Fun times, especially when Cuthbert quoted pythagarus incoreectly. How we laughed, almost spilt my weak lemon drink... ;)
Seriously?:spank: :spank:

T

·
0 Posts
I swear to god if i didnt love this place so damn much id be asleep right now!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts