Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
new thread, update of same rb troubles. after months of work.

After replacing my timing belt and new sparks, my rb20det engine is running the same as it was before i replaced the belt, it has all the same symptoms and problem that it had from where I started..

the problems are, car takes a millon trys to start, cylinders 2,3,6 do not fire.

I checked for spark it gives no spark, it has new spark plugs.

i swapped coils no different, i tired a different pair of coils, no different, I tired 3 different ignitors no different..

i have checked my injectors all the injectors are fine, i even swapped injectosrs and no difference.

i been dealing with this same problem for months now with numbers 2,3, and 6.

what could the problem be?

1. is my cam angle sensor in the wrong postion or something?
2. is my cam angle sensor just flat out fautly/bad
3. is my ingtion timing off and not at 15 dergee?
4. is my ecu the problem?

what do you guys think?

and oh yeah another thing.. my idle jumps up and down, and when the idle is coming down it'll try it best to smooth out and not seem so rough, but once the idle slowly is coming back up it's rough again, and just keeps jumping and down like that between 2,500 and 1,000rpm.

·
1st RB20DET S13 in UK
389 Posts
Have you checked the continuity of the loom wiring to be sure there's not just a break in a cable somewhere... and checked all the connections are clean/tight?

If its all been checked out properly, then id suggest testing the voltages from the ECU pins (Pin 1 - cyl no.1; 2 - cyl no.5; 3 - no.3; 11 - no.6; 12 - no.2; 13 - no.4) for the 6 spark signal outputs (test between ecu pins and ground), and it should be 0.2v - 0.3v with the engine running... 0.4v @ 2500rpm.:)

Also, the manual suggests that with the ignition on only, when doing this test you should get battery voltage... however, ive found this to not be true on my ECU tonight, so would be interested to know if you get battery volts - As mine has just started running on 5, and another cylinder is poor too.:)

I can give you more advise on checking the loom etc if you need it mate, as it being the problem sounds possible tbh.

Nize. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
don't wanna sound like i'm being cocky, but have you tried new leads in case its a break in yuor ignition leads? Obvious thing to check the leads would be swap a working one to a non-firing cylinder and the non-firing cylinder one to a firing cylinder, and see if there is a difference.

Failing that, i can't help anymore, but i reall yhope your car starts up again soon!

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
he has changed the coils me finks

i would go with electrics, have you reset the ecu just incase it is pulling an impression of windows.. (thats the IT perspective..) bit weird on the none firing, when more pros hit the thread im sure they will be able to help more, hope you get it sorted dude.

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
i'd say the ignition timing is way out, have you set number 1 plug at tdc......then reset the cam timing....as just said are the leads for the coilovers on the right ones im sure you can get 4 leads the wrong way round.....3,4....5,6. if its backfired then thats my theory, also if it was electrical then it would more consistant....

after a re-read....the cam angle sensor wont cause this much problem, you can set it in the middle just to start it.....so it all points to ignition timing to me.....have you got a timing light mate.....or can you plug a lap top in to it....and fault find that way

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update guys.. its a been a few days.. but thanks for the replies..

installed a new cam angle sensor today and everything fixed for the most part... my car started up on the first try and now i have all spark on all 6 cylinders!!!

but my idle is way high sometimes at 2,500 almost 3,000rpm idle and idle is rough and the exhuast note is popping.

I haven't gone for a test drive yet or anything.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
after all that mate and it was staring u in the face lol am glad its finally firing on 6 cylinders now your idle first check that u have no air leaks and ensure that the throttles butterfly isnt being held open slightly by previous tinkering so to speak mate. as mine was after i mucked about with it

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Then check out the idle control valve,may have a hole in the diaphram.

Saw that not long ago on someones car in Germany... now who was it:)
i wonder mate :rofl: and i thought that but i wanted to start on the reallly easy stuff first buddy :) seeing as this has been a long ongoing problem:disappointed: however its running so he must b soooo happy now :dogpile:

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
u will probally need to get it set up mate, but have u driven it yet???????????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no i haven't driven yet... but today i was reving it and it was cutting out like the engine would seem like it shut off at 5 grand, and then if i stopped giving it gas it would come back alive again, but of course idle like crap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update today.. I unplugged my coils again 1 by 1 to listen to revs and motor.

when i unplugged one of them, the engine revs went down and engine kinda went smooth, and it did that affact on all 6 of them that i unplugged 1 by 1, so that means coils are firing then right or are 6 of them crapping out?

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
no it sounds right, as one lead is unplugged you should hear the drop in engine revs, be careful if the cam angle sensor is a couple of degrees out and you thrash it, it could cause trouble, get a timing light on it and time it up mate, or yr end up detting and then its kaput.....;)

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
if the revs dropped then it means that they are working may not be perfect but they work mate. sorry i dont have a better answer but have u cleaned the idle control valve?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
****!!!! i got my ilde to come down to about 1,200 rpm or so.... But now i have a headache to worry about... last night one of the bolts snapped off that hold it on the bracket!!! crap!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey guys can you help me to walk me step by step on my TPS

my throttle sensor is a black connector with 3 wires.. the third wire is going no where.. its a yellow wire and my ecu is for an auto

so looks like i gotta re-hire my tps.

But i'm not sure of how to do it because i didn't wire th is engine.. i paied a guy to wire everthing for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts