Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after recently re-fitting my rebuilt hybrid turbo, i took the car for a brief run this weekend. Anyway all went fine until i gave it some throttle to see the difference in lag and pick up, so i stare at the boost gauge and in a blink of an eye i hit 2bar! obviously i back off straight away and get back and check my actuator vacuum pipes and boost controller plumbing and everything is A ok. so i go out again (boost controller off) and give it a little bit of right foot and it overboosts again!

all i can think think of is possibly universal turbo's who rebuilt it for me may have pre-set the actuator to high strength or simular. thing is before i refitted it i tried on my turbo elbow and used a foot pump to see when the penny would open (i did this to make sure it didnt foul as its a xs power item, it didnt before it was rebuilt either). so i put the car away with my tail between my legs thinking what can be wrong!

anybody have any idea's at what's going on, any input is welcome as usual......:)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Most turbo rebuilders normally set up the actuator but i would think it would not be as high as that like you say.
Is the actuator adjustable? ie can you adjust the length of the actuators rod?
Have you tried just putting the actuator pipe straight to the intercooler pipework to see if its the same?

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
Definately sounds like your actuator needs adjusting.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the actuator adjustable? ie can you adjust the length of the actuators rod?
Have you tried just putting the actuator pipe straight to the intercooler pipework to see if its the same?
i have no idea if the actuators adjustable, there's no thread on the rod as far as i can see, not sure if that makes it no adjustable or not.

i havent by-passed the boost controller yet but i will do this afternoon.

thanks for the input again guys

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im starting to think the penny isnt opening properly! it holds boost till about 5000 rpm them creeps to just over a bar.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
You should be able to get a pair of pliers on the actuator arm and move it and feel + hear the penny opening.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'll remove it tomorrow and get the grinder out and see if theres an improvement, if not, its going in the and a screamer elbow going on!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's not the elbow, the actuator penny opens and closely freely by hand and pressurised, i even bored the elbow out anyway to be safe.

the car will hold 0.65 bar till around 3.5k rpm and rises and rises as the revs climb to about 1.1bar! it's really pissing me off as i want to take it to be mapped with my new greddy e-manage ultimate soon. but there's no point till this is sorted.

i really dont understand what it is, even by passing my boost controller and running actuator pressure it does it.

HELLLLLLP! :(

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
This sounds like exactly the same problem ive always had. At full load on low boost the boost still creeps up....But it doesnt bother me as much because the cars mapped for higher boost anyway now

Could it be anything to do with the ignition timing or the NVCS?

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
The NVCS is to do with the variable value timining. It could be a problem with the inlet pulley messing up your ignition timining causign the increase in boost pressure with rpm?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts