Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Garrett GT3040R is too big for the std mani as you can see from below pics. Only way it will bolt up is by rotating the core but the outlet then points straight at the block!

Anyone got any s/s mani suggestions...? Did'nt really want to buy one until i could afford an equal length steel mani but, needs must! Hopefully the design of the cheap s/s mani's will give me more room.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
simple solution mate, give me your turbo, you could always try to get a cheap manifold from ebay, i know someone who got one for under 110 pounds

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
get a plate made up for it that way it will raise it up and give it clearance only a thought

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get a plate made up for it that way it will raise it up and give it clearance only a thought
Thought about this but two problems. First is it will, obviously, put the turbo out of std posistion and 2nd (as its going in an S13 200sx) there is 15" clearance from centre of the engine to the wing. At the moment the turbo is about half an inch from the inner wing!! doh!!

Gonna have a look today for cheapy manifolds. Just hope their design makes enough room for it to clear!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol! Yeah.
I would prefer to keep the std. mani for now as i dont like the cheap s/s ones.
It will be much easier to see how much room we have when we drop the engine in next week!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would've thought that those ones will help with clearance, but it's hard to tell, the flange looks as though it sits in the same position as the stock mani, and as such it could catch the runner where it attaches to the block....

I honestly think even those cheap mani's will flow better than the standard one too mate, the standard one looks an awfully restrictive design. The only thing to worry about with the cheapy mani's is how well they will fit and how long before they crack...

I think the spacer will take your turbo onto the inner wing for sure, I've got about 1 inch between mine and the turret and mine is considerably smaller!!

Could be an idea about modifying the inner wing though if worst comes to worst.... :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the cheap manifolds dont fill me with confidence but it is an easier solution than spacing the turbo out really. I guess the answer will come when we trial fit the engine and see how much space we have to play with! Might even have to go top-mount if we cant "modify" the wing to accomadate the turbo with a spacer....Which it sounds like we'll have to do if Del's turbo is 1" away from the wing!!! Ahhhh!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Admit it, you just want a top mount mani really! :p

In all seriousness though it will be very tight down there with that turbo, maximum room I have is 1.5" might just get it in there, if you can give me the dimensions of it I could always measure up for you mate? Be a bit more of an idea than just calculating it from your measurments.

Or.... even better idea! If you can make it up to mine when my turbo is off the car sometime in the next few weeks we can hold it in position and see how much room there is? :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol, engine will be in mine by then...but thanks for the offer!! The only real way were going to work this out is by offering it up and then taking it from there.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is true, lol! Ah well, it's the thought that counts I guess!

One more thought on the low mount manifolds, you'll almost certainly need to remove/move your ABS pump and I know you were wanting to keep it. With the top mount ones you might want to ask for measurments so you can check the clearance of the runners too, prob fine, but saves you buying one then finding you have the exact same problem with space but the other way around! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spacer sort of solved the problem!

Still just touching the manifold but with a couple of gaskets and a little grinding off the turbo housing it should be okay!:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
looks like u need the gaskets and to heat wrap the manifold to keep it away from the compressor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts