Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im changing car now, from my xedos 6 to something "practical" ;) and fast.

i had in mind the 92 mitsu lancer gsr or the 4 door skyline....
could anyone tell me how much parts like brakes..exhaust...clutch cost ????

also, hows the RB20DET (unmodified) on mpg ??

sorry about all the questions !

phrozen

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Brakes....

I use red stuffs at about £100 ish a pair for the front. Pretty crap til they are warmed up though, and it takes rather 'spirited' driving to get them warm enough.

Dunno about clutches or exhausts though, I put a full Hiper on mine for about £600 ish.

As far as RB20DET mpg goes, I can get 300 miles out of a tank of optimax cruising on the motorway, and thats with induction kit, exhaust, and several other bits.
Running hard, about 200 miles.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
mate...

60 ish litres to a tank.... 300 miles per 60 litres = 5 miles per litre.

Ca 85 p per litre = 16p per mile

Now... How much is a gallon and how many litres in one?

Can't remember.

What was the point of this post? Beats me:bash:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i done some calculations.....about 23 mpg ?

4.546 litres in a gallon
60l tank

60/4.546 = 13.2

300miles/13.2 = 22.7....

some one check my maths !!:alco:

thanks again jock alert !!

phrozen

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sounds sensible....

Thats what I get if I cruise around 80 on the motorway, with A'Pexi induction, Hiper exhaust, S-AFC air flow convertor (tweaks the fuelling) and a few other bits and bobs.

Drops significantly if using boost much, lowest I have seen was 150miles out of a tank, but I was toasting it a bit!

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Oh my god, all i can say is calulations go out the window in any car once you have it.

My advice is to look at some of the more general things like ;

Service Interval , Pricing etc. Tyres etc

Petrol costs dont come into it or you wouldnt be buying a performance car in my opinion.

Good luck on your search !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i kno, which is why i was wondering how much exhausts, clutches etc cost..

im just trying to get a feel of how big of a hole is going to be burnt into my wallet :D

phrozen

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Cool, well exhausts there are usually ones flying around that people are selling on, so you dont need to get brand new ones.

Clutches , in reality when a standard clutch goes a lot of people tend to either uprate them, or change the plate cover, so slightly more cost but longer reliability dependant on how you drive them.

The parts are not the expense neccessarily I would look into labour charges etc.

Which Skyline you looking at do you think ?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Holes in wallets.....

Man, I don't have a wallet left now!

Mind you, thats not the car's fault, all thats gone wrong with it was the airflow meter and reverse switch, neither of which were too expensive. Problem has been my 'enthusiasm' for widgets and toys!

Phrozen.... They are good, robust cars mate. The problem is that there is sooo much potential in a Skyline for tuning its unreal, so it comes down to what you can/want/are willing to spend or what you want to achieve. Many people never modify theirs, some of us get a bit carried away.

But, unless you buy a complete turkey, they don't tend to let you down, AND they look wicked and go like stink!

(not that I am sure what stink goes like!)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got a crazy jap mechanic who will sort out the labour rates ;)

im thinkin a 4 door r32 with a rb20det...that available ???

phrozen

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
To be honest they tend not to go wrong too often so the only real expenses are insurance and the "go faster" toys... The trick is to pace yourself so it doesnt take over your life and definitely dont live anywhere near the recognised toy vendors otherwise you may end up giving in to temptation.

Paul

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wait a min...im in trouble...i think i saw a "toys r us" on the way home the other day ...... :p

basically all i want to do to it is put in a dump valve and change the exhaust. Just bought a new house so im keepin costs low, and i need to carry the family around so i thought, either a R32 saloon or a lancer gsr ....?

the xedos 6 i had was amazing, almost perfect because it was luxurious but also sounded awesome (nice v6 under the bonnet :rolleyes: ) but some one reversed into it so im forced into replacing it :( i might buy another one, but now i have a excuse to shop around for a skyline !

phrozen

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I dont think you will get many problems with those mods.

So Stick with tyres,servicing.

Ofcourse a once over when you get the car is a must which is what i do to every car.

LOL @ "Toys R US" excellent you simply must get a skyline you got the humour !

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
shouldnt that be "Toys R Us"? :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Get digital with R :rolleyes:

Good luck with your find I have not seen many R32 around, maybe the odd one in the AutoTrader

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the 4 door is not too bad......id love the 2 door, but the 4 door is the only way i can sly it with the family ;) !

if i didnt have to buy a bigger house etc, you would see a fat GTR sitting outside of a dustbin !:D

phrozen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts