Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right well.

I have been a Fiat Coupe 20VT owner for a while now and have decided that the reliability and running costs are just rubbish for a car that is not quite fast enough for me!!

So I have decided to upgrade to a skyline. Now I would like an R34 GTT (possibly R34 GTT Boy's!!) but would like to know more about how much they cost to run. Insurance-wise I am struggling to get a quote under £1k. What are they like to service? What MPG do you get? How often do they go wrong and is it expensive!!

I will obviously want to start modifying almost straight away, does this put a big enough strain on the engine to make things start going wrong quicker?

I will be grateful for any answers you have. Is there anyone on here from or around Ipswich by the way?

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Welcome Mark and good choice ;) Andys always looks very nice and a good colour choice too.
Depending on your age insurance seems OK - mine is £722 through Liverpool Victoria with mods declared and no tracker needed.
Servicing so far has been very reasonable just regular oil changes needed and parts have not seemed expensive to me so far.
The norm seems to be about 200-250 miles to a tank - so about low to mid 20s to the gallon.
Mine has not missed a beat yet and they are generally known to be very reliable.
It seems as if you can get to about 320-350bhp without modifying much internally.
Oh and I am Huntingdon - East Anglia meet thread running.
May want to have a look at www.r34gtt.co.uk some great info there.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
If your looking at MPG then you shouldnt be looking at any kind of sports car.

I get around 260-300 miles out of mine to a 40 quids worth of tank, work it out :)

Insurance depends on how old you are etc... I pay just under 1k but then other cars i have had have been the same so not complaining.

Depending on what you want to get to ie HP then that all depends on what strain you put on your car. Ie 300HP will run as per normal and will not give you any more problems than normal as long as it is looked after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really bothered about MPG, just wondered on that one!! I meant more servicing costs. My Coupe has cost me around £1500 in the last six months or so and it still is not running right. I dare not modify it in case something else gives in!!

It's funny because lots of posts read on here recommend Liverpool Victoria so it was the first company I rang. They could not find a R34 GTT with an automatic gearbox on their system and so would not quote me. Anyone on here got this setup and insured by LV?

I am 26 have 5 years no claims and three points and the best I can get at the moment is £1,200 from Tesco (so I need a tracker)

My coupe runs 220bhp and I think it really struggles with that!! I would want to modify to about the 320bhp mark as this seems relatively straight forward and not too expensive. So I guess the engine should be fine at around that?

Thanks for the advice
Mark

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Try Tescos do it online. 5% more, to be honest that premium is about right.

Engine should be fine for around that power....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was online from Tescos. I also went back and changed the car to an R34 GTR and hit go and the premium did not even change!! Surely a GTR would be more??!!

If so I am tempted to save for a little longer and go with the GTR!!
Obviously the car costs around twice as much but the extras you get are surely worth it? Are they not?

Cheers
Mark

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
you would think so, although as far as Tescos are concerned GTT are even rarer than GTR, although this is now changing.

Extras are worth it, power will be more. If something goes wrong you would pay premium whatever car you get, except the GTR tends to have two turbos, not one, two AFM's so upgrading also costs more.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I'll dive in here I think. I used to work for Direct Line insurance. They underwrite Tesco insurance and my missus currently works in the Claims department for Tesco Insurance as does my old dear. I can tell you straight away that Tesco are ok but modifying with them is not brilliant. They are not THAT much more expensive than other companies but for exmaple if you change the alloys they bump your premium up by 10% then every time you change anything else on the car it's around the same kind of increase and they will only allow you 6 modifications before they start just writing it in notes instead of on the policy in which case you might not be as covered as you would like although your premium doesn't go up anymore.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Try Adrian Flux for insurance. They insured mine. They had my car listed (unlike Tescos) and were VERY competetive, even with my mods declared :)

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Must have been a long time ago that you called them as for the last 6 months they've had them listed. When I worked for them they only had the R33 and R34 listed but 6 months ago when I had the GTS-T it was listed and the GTR 3 months ago when I got it was listed also.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It was about 6 months ago. The only R32 they had was the GTR and they wanted to insure it as that. The only GTS-t they had listed was the R33

R

·
0 Posts
Tescos

Tescos for me, 1526 a year and it would have been more expensive had I not included the missus.

The running costs on my GTT have been minimal, a service at Rod Bells just after I bought it. I thought "Hello this is going to be a horror story" as I had not had the car checked prior to purchasing apart from my own beady eye. Anyway Rod gave it the all clear after a full inspection, a nice set of iridium sparks and some fully synthetic oil all for around the 250 quid mark! chuffed.

That was a mere 2,300 miles ago so it is due for another oil change soon.

I am upgrading to a GTR but I am glad I got into the world of Skylines via the GTT, if I am honest I probably would of had a nasty accident had I jumped straight into a GTR.

The R34 GTT is quick, looks the part, can be nicely modded (see Ian H's website) and costs less than half of a GTR.

My advice to anyone new to Skylines would be to buy a GTT (if you like the R34 shape) and see if you can live with the car on a day to day basis. The attention you get is amazing as folks love to come over and chat at Petrol stations or at the lights. Also invest in some track driving lessons at one of the track days that are organised. I did this last year in my last black GTT and have never regretted it. The car handles like no other and I admit that I had to learn how to handle it.

Give me a buzz if you want to chat and you are always welcome to come and have a look.

Cheers

Andy

NickMW

Thx for your comments, I will be sad to see her go, the missus is already giving me a hard time about the replacement but what the heck!

R

·
0 Posts
Coming back !

Ian

When she sells I will be back to have the Clarion multiplay refitted. Gonna keep the Alpine Sat-Nav for the next beastie.

Cheers

Andy

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Insurance is a minefield....your quote sounds near the mark though.I have a R33 2.0ltr non turbo,and a R33GTS turbo,both fully comp,£701 for the GT,£695 for the GTS...work that one out.Try Osbornes in Sutton,Surrey....or Adrian Flux in Norfolk.Dont know much about R34,but costs and reliability on my 2 over last 2 years been A1.Tuning bits can be expensive,but good makes worth it...hard not to grin when going sidewards!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts