Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, good site and some awesome cars.

I have seen a Gts25t that i am interested in. It has just come into country and has bodykit/aftermarket alloys, engine standard (not necessarily a good thing cos will modify anyway). 35k on 95 plate.

Anyway, dont know anything about Skylines but very tempted by this car. However, concerned that living with such a car might end up silly expensive? Would guess that if something goes wrong then a trip to scrapyard aint gonna sort it.

Also presume that an import would need to be checked out in someway?

Sorry for dense questions but been a vauxhall person for years so this type of car is totally new to me.
Thanks Vicky.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hi Vicky,

you mention that the car you are considering is already in the UK - has it cleared SVA and MOT already?

Ask to see the Japanese auction sheet if it is available and check to see that a ?? is not by the mileage and also the condition code awarded as this will often let you know if there has been any accident damage.

A few threads on the site already about running costs, but they are not overly expensive to run and generally very reliable
http://www.skylineowners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2204&highlight=cost

Check a couple on insurance deals out first but sounds like a wise move. We look forward to welcoming you:)

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
I see that you are in Bristol. Go and talk to ProTech in Nailsea. They are the local experts in skylines, they do the SVA's for the local import centre in Bristol.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - didn't know about the ?? or condition codes, nor about Protech being so close to me.

Bit silly me worrying about costs when i think about the money i've spent modifying the vectra in last 10mths. Least i would be throwing money at a car that would respond to it if i got a Skyline.

Not too worried about insurance (38yrs) or fuel. More concerned by the unexpected - such as if the gearbox went. It's cos i'm a worrier! Have heard that they are mechanically strong cars though.

Anything else i should look out for?

Thanks again for advice. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gosh, just had a look at the link u put up for me Nick - says these cars 'hideously reliable' and rarely have problems. This is lot more than can be said for the vectra's which seem to have huge list of common faults!

My vectra is more of a lifestyle than a car to me now. Belong to 4 very active clubs and will miss this if i move on to another car. Are the Skyline forums very active? Regular meets etc?

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Hi and welcome! yes, very social pub life....lol and also we do a lot of track days, club events etc etc....

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
I know i dont own a Skyline, but i think most would agree when i say the expensive part of ownership is the moddin'!!!

As Tigger says this club is very scocial. Especially down here in the south!

·
milk monitor
1,181 Posts
vicky, give these guys a look they by the bristol football ground and usually have about 10 skylines in, go ask for a test drive theyre really nice guys. ive brought 2 cars off them and am really happy with the service!
fourtoes
:)

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted at same time as u Fourtoes! Never knew so much stuff local to me. Off to have look at their web site now. Thanks. :)

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
As the youngest owner (I think that's still true) I'll simply say that if I can afford it then ANYBODY can afford it. The worst part about these cars is when they DO go wrong as parts ARE expensive no matter what anyone says. However you can get reasonable stuff for the skyline. For example I need a new clutch at the moment, there is a place in Warrington near Liverpool that will give me the whole clutch kit including VAT and fitting for about £465. The majority of the time though these cars will just go on and on and on without a problem. And the looks you get from driving one are just unreal. For a laugh look in the nonskylinebanter forum and try to find the thread entitled "WOW it's a Skyline" Some funny stories in there.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, that gives me some perspective on what i would be looking at.

Really love my vectra (will put pic up later of my heavily modified baby for u all to see) but if i keep her i will definitely have to book in a turbo conversion. By the time extras taken into account (brake upgrade/water cooling etc) the conversion will cost about £5,000.

Working on this basis it would work out cheaper to go buy a factory turbo and sell the vec on. The Skyline seems to be coming out top for me if i take this route. The most difficult thing for me will be parting company with my car really, cos as said it is huge part of my life.

Sorry u r getting my lifestory. :eek: :)

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Take it from someone who's driven the Vectra and the Skyline. Buy the Skyline. You will never look back to Vauxhall other than to sneer at it like I do with Ford. Although I do still plan to build a project Capri next year called Project BodynDoyle. hehe

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Buy it!

Looking at the beastie Josewick's got up, I'd say do it. Get him to put the BIG alloys back on and pay the higher price.

I went from a Calibra to a GT-S. There is no comparison. You will never regret it.

In three and a half years of heavy running (50000 miles), the most expensive non 'consumable' item I had to replace was the water pump.

Buy the GT-S, then flog the Vectra to pay for some tweaks. :D

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Welcome Vicky, hope you find a car you like.

As there's so many local people, I'm sure one of them will volunteer to come shopping with you and make sure you don't get ripped off.

I offer to do it for the RX-7 buyers. Nothing gets a salesman to tell the truth more than coming in with an existing owner.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good idea about taking someone to look at car with me. Agree that the bigger alloys r a must!

Realise that the skyline is in different class which is why i am considering it. Know u all think i'm mad struggling to let go of my vectra but if u look at the link think u might understand. Even if u dont like it u can see that it is a car that has been given much time/love and money. It was totally standard when i bought it and has been my baby.

http://forum.vectra-sport.com/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=vicky_mc-users

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
you tend to get hooked onto a car once you start making it into your own :)

Looks nice , good look with your viewing of the car.......

1 - 20 of 69 Posts