Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got my first skyline and it was running fine when i drove it back from when i brought it (about 11 miles) the car sat outside for a week and when i went to start it battery was flat so i fitted a new battery , started it up and it seemed very missy/popping when i tried to rev it (around 3krevs) when it warmed up it then reved . then next day get in it and it wont start so i turn alarm of by entering the pin number thinking its imobilized itself and it started up . went out for drive and as soon as you give it some welly it starts to misfire , pop and backfire in every gear ?? drive it like a normal car and its fine .now today i got in it and it started fine (with alarm back on) went to top of my road and pulled out on roundabout and it wouldnt rev atall and was popping and banging through the exhaust until it cut out , got it started and held revs at about 2k for a while and then it was fine , drove away and still getting the popping/back firing/missing when you give it some throttle (about 4-5k) . its doing my head in as i dont want to break it !! car is a 95 gtst spec 1 with cat back exhaust , apexi induction kit , front mount intercooler and a shift light ! have not checked plugs/coilpacks yet as it seems a bit more serious then that? it will boost to 0.5 and other times not ? i found that the boost wire (black one ) had been cut and earthed out so i rejoined it but is still the same ?? please help as i went from a scooby to one of these and ive only had it 2 weeks and its gone wrong already !!

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Coilpacks and plugs, say no more ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems everyone thinks that ! but i also thought coilpacks because as you give it welly it misfires etc but earlyier as i pulled away it just popped and banged and would not rev almost like running out of fuel or boost pipe popped of and this was around the 1-2k revs mark which i thought wouldnt be the packs ! i was thinking afm fault or maybe something else . i will get some new plugs tommorrow from work and have a look tom night , just seems weird this has happened since the car has sat for 2 weeks and got a flat battery after only 1 week but maybe one of the coil packs has got damp etc from where its sat around especially with all the rain we have had .thanks for the advice though it really helps , i just want the power back !!!

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
firstly i would check all hoses-pipes etc, then plugs-coilpacks etc, yr find information in the FAQ section that will answer most of yr question or use the search button at the top of the page mate......this will help with cleaning-testing yr coilpacks....http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43555

and this will explain the earthing for 2 stage boost......http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62994

also this may help too bud....http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/archive/index.php/f-21.html

good kuck let me know how you get on mate

·
bla
17,374 Posts
definately coils... :D

Ive helped many people with that prob and also had it myself... :D

·
bla
17,374 Posts
well weve prooved you wrong, lol...

Hope you stay and enjoy this site and come along to your nearest meets...
We are a great friendly bunch... There are just a few :gay: to look out for.... and run :D

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
hello mate!!

didn't know if was you but the scooby bit gave it away :D

hope you get it sorted soon

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right i have just been outside to take a look under the bonnet for simple things and have just noticed there a no pipes going to the boost solenoid ????? they are all linked together ? now before when you gave some welly it missed etc - so coilpacks i thought . now last night when i rejoined the black boost solenoid wire to how it should be was when i got the problem of getting to top of road and pulled out with no revs and popping backfiring etc at low revs which then cleared aftrer a while ! i have obviously made it worse by joining the wire back together ? why are the boost pipes linked and should they be ? if not which one goes to which pipe ? at the mo there is one coming from the black metal pipe , one from the actuator and one from the inlet front mount pipe which are td together ?? what do i do with them and why they joined ????

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update ! ordered some plugs today which are coming friday (ngkbkr6eix-11) which i need to gap at 0.8 ? just removed all coilpacks and it looks like the damp has settled on the ends of 2 of them (all white and dampified) . took all rubbers of the ends and cant see any splits or cracks - so i guess there ok ? didnt remove plugs as i wanted to keep them in till friday but 2 of them at the top/nut end are rusty due to the damp ! car did sit for 2weeks in all that rain ! have also put boost solenoid vacumn pipes back on solenoid as they should be (not sure why they were linked together/) and also noticed there is no restrictor in the top vacumn pipe where there should be one ?
am i getting anywhere yet or am i peeing people of with trying to sort this and posting on here every night , many thanks

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
your not peeing any one off this is how we all learn

hows it running now you've put all the pipework back

as for the restricter try PM'ing Roadrunner on here he's sure to have one

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have not run it as yet as i have removed all coils etc waiting to replace the plugs on friday ! just thought while i was there i would reconnect pipe work etc .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fitted new plugs today and revs without misfiring now so will give it a drive on sunday to see how it is (fingers crossed!) i removed denso ik22 ? gapped at 0.6 and i fitted new ngkbkr6eix-11 which i gapped at 0.8 ! 2 of the denso plugs were well rusty around the base (nut part) and you could see where they had been shorting . found no cracks in coils so cleaned them all including the loom and this time greased the rubber base part (the bit that seals the top of plug hole) to stop condensation again , hopefully all is well !

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
last update !!!!
at last just managed to go out in it for an hour (after fitting new plugs a week ago) and all is well , no misfires ,no splutters , no popping and no backfires and the car revs all the way to the limit and pulls like a train !!!
thanks for everyones help !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts