Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still want to keep this car pretty original. However I would like to get a few more hp out the the RB25DET. So any help in these selections would be great.

-Intercooler (leaning towards Greddy)
-Exhaust and Downpipe (I like both Blitz and HKS)
-Plenum Swap (again leaning towards Greddy, but I'm unsure what TB it takes, hopefully in the directions?)
-Coilovers (unsure of a good brand for this)
-BOV (leaning towards the HKS kit)

Any other thoughts? Keep in mind I only want subtle gains nothing overboard.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wouldn't bother with a plenum swap to be honest. You'll find the stock one is just fine.
If you go have a look through threads maybe on here but definitely on the Australian website you will find instructions on how to keep the stock turbo in high boost.
A lot of other info on there. Lots of those guys are or were working on tight budgets and so they have a lot of ingenious ways of finding cheap effective gains. Be a bit wary though. Some of those guys weren't too bothered about long term engine life😄

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go have a look through threads maybe on here but definitely on the Australian website you will find instructions on how to keep the stock turbo in high boost.
A lot of other info on there.
Yeah I've been doing a lot of that. Narrowed down a lot of what I've decided to do to the car. I did get a better turbo though. So I'll be selling the 31k mile t28 its coming with.

So far things purchased are:
-HKS hi power exhaust
-Greddy BOV
-Baffled oil pan and oil air separator from Australia
-Tomei Poncams from Black Hawk Japan
-Tomei M turbo kit
-Mishimoto intercooler
-Chinese intercooler piping... because its only pipe and I can almost bet greddy, blitz and all the others get it there
-All necessary AEM gauges
-Driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft
-ACT clutch
-Findanza flywheel
-Test pipe
-ISR downpipe
-HKS induction pipe
-pmas hpx maf

And some other smaller items from Japan and Australia.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah I've been doing a lot of that. Narrowed down a lot of what I've decided to do to the car. I did get a better turbo though. So I'll be selling the 31k mile t28 its coming with.

So far things purchased are:
-HKS hi power exhaust
-Greddy BOV
-Baffled oil pan and oil air separator from Australia
-Tomei Poncams from Black Hawk Japan
-Tomei M turbo kit
-Mishimoto intercooler
-Chinese intercooler piping... because its only pipe and I can almost bet greddy, blitz and all the others get it there
-All necessary AEM gauges
-Driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft
-ACT clutch
-Findanza flywheel
-Test pipe
-ISR downpipe
-HKS induction pipe
-pmas hpx maf

And some other smaller items from Japan and Australia.
I have a set of yellowspeed racing coilovers I'm selling. Switching over to air ride suspension. They have been on the car long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a set of yellowspeed racing coilovers I'm selling. Switching over to air ride suspension. They have been on the car long.
Thanks for the offer, but this is the one time, first time I'll be using all new on a build. I guess when I say budget it may differ from what most think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah cause that list isn't budget friendly.. good luck with it
Agreed! I think the only corner cut is on the intercooler, but didn't want to spend 1000+ on a turbo kit made in China and sent from Japan.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got a eBay intercooler kit. Waste. Order a greddy one. Waiting till June for it. Ordered it back in March...
Where are you located.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a eBay intercooler kit. Waste. Order a greddy one. Waiting till June for it. Ordered it back in March...
Where are you located.
Texas, but I'm only using a piping kit. Which when looking at the Greddy and Blitz piping they are pretty much a direct match. As a matter of fact almost all of them go across the front of the engine except one. The Plazmaman one from Australia which is made in house. If it were not for the custom fees and shipping I would have bought that kit. With shipping it's almost 2k. Screw that lol. I've been trying to find a local dealer for them as I like the fact there kit goes over the block rather than anywhere near the fan. Not sure who else makes this style, but that's the one I would like to have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. All cause of the intake manifold. If u did a top mount turbo kit then all that would change
Which I was strongly thinking of doing, but I decided I'm not ever going to take this car over 20 psi (the Tomei MX can do that with the pistons swapped out). Plus the intercooler is just so I can get the 14-17psi advantage against that tiny stock SMIC.

I was thinking about the front facing manifold, but that was before I found out Radium makes a nice rails that you can use smaller top feeds and use the stock intake with no issues. Well that and the Australian's were pretty much saying it's a waste of money that could be placed somewhere else for the additional flow gain. Some even stated a port and polish will achieve the same result. If anything it's just for aesthetics. Even if you do, that 90mm TB is choked off by the 2.5" piping and finding 3" or 3.5" in a non kit is almost impossible. Add in the lag it may produce with the smaller MX turbo... I'd rather have response.

Not tracking the car anyway. Just a fun toy to drive on the weekends. I have a truck I can beat on for the daily that just had the engine replace by Ford so I have a nice long warranty too. Sometimes extended warranties are handy LOL. Also have to be careful because I don't know how much Hagerty will change the policy when I tell them it has the mods past 50hp.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Which I was strongly thinking of doing, but I decided I'm not ever going to take this car over 20 psi (the Tomei MX can do that with the pistons swapped out). Plus the intercooler is just so I can get the 14-17psi advantage against that tiny stock SMIC.

I was thinking about the front facing manifold, but that was before I found out Radium makes a nice rails that you can use smaller top feeds and use the stock intake with no issues. Well that and the Australian's were pretty much saying it's a waste of money that could be placed somewhere else for the additional flow gain. Some even stated a port and polish will achieve the same result. If anything it's just for aesthetics. Even if you do, that 90mm TB is choked off by the 2.5" piping and finding 3" or 3.5" in a non kit is almost impossible. Add in the lag it may produce with the smaller MX turbo... I'd rather have response.

Not tracking the car anyway. Just a fun toy to drive on the weekends. I have a truck I can beat on for the daily that just had the engine replace by Ford so I have a nice long warranty too. Sometimes extended warranties are handy LOL. Also have to be careful because I don't know how much Hagerty will change the policy when I tell them it has the mods past 50hp.
I've got the same insurance company.. I haven't told them them the car now has 420whp . My policy is still same as when I got the car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts