Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, technically not a newbie since I registered in 2007, but since I pretty much haven't posted until then, I may as well be.

Anyway, a week last Tuesday, after some hassle with the DVLA, I finally got to drive this, which I bought from Japan in December.

When I bought it, it only had 28,000km on it. It's now up to 31,000km. It's totally standard, though since those pics were taken I've put on a set of 16x7.5 Momo Sports that used to be on my GF's S13, these are necessary as I have a set of R33 GTS-T brakes (and master cylinder) to go on at the weekend.

Since it's an SE-4 it gets the same 4WD setup as the R32 and also gets R32 suspension. Shame it still gets S13 brakes as standard :eek:.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a 4WD Ceffy over here. I know most people bring them over for drifting so I suspect not. One other forum is telling me I'm nuts spending Skyline money on a Ceffy, but I'm saving £1200 on my first year's insurance, and it's a much rarer car, which I like.

Anyways, hi :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it's technically based on the C33 Laurel platform, but it's so similar to the R32 that it was basically seen as a luxury version of the Skyline. The engine is the RB20DET, it's down 5bhp compared to the R32 one and doesn't have the recirc dump valve, which some people seem to prefer due to the pigeon sounds it makes when you lift off.

Other than that same suspension, same 4WD, hubs are different because they are 4 stud but this is probably still the best place I'm going to find technical information about the engine. I'll have to pop over to SXOC to ask about wheel hubs, and anything to do with bodywork or interior I'm on my own.

I know there's a couple of other people on here who have them, and there's a few on driftworks too. I've not yet seen anyone with a facelift version (L in the chassis code) or a 4WD.

When I was buying mine there were only 3 4WD ones for sale in the entirety of Japan. Of the other two, one was a complete shed that had been obviously used in street racing and the other was a rather tasty RB26DETT swapped version spoilt only by a URAS bodykit and GTR badges all over it. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who like the URAS kit, but I'm after more of a sleeper style, so while an RB25 or 26 swap is on my list of future projects, a bodykit (and GTR badges) most definitely are not.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have no idea what Tatsu is (guessing it's another forum) and much as I'd love to own an R34, I can't afford one.

Thanks for the compliments, most of the others I've seen are prefacelift and are looking a bit tatty after a lifetime of drifting (edit: this isn't meant as an insult BTW, drifting just takes it's toll on the car and the ceffy is really good at it). This one is to be my daily driver, which for me means an average of 4 hours of motorway use per day, so I'm sure it'll be full of stonechips a year down the line same as happened to my old Legacy B4 :(

Biggest problem I had getting this car legal in the UK is it didn't have rear numberplate lights, and the space that FAST tells me should hold the lights is just solid plastic, instead the frame is backlit, requiring a translucent numberplate. The MOT tester failed me on this and the import company stuck that horrible LED thing on (with double sided tape because I told them not to drill or damage anything without asking me first). I've since found out that some TVRs came with a similar system so the MOT guy was wrong to fail me, and I'm going to rewire the backlight back in once my translucent plates arrive from FlashReg. I've never seen a JDM car with this before, but did find one guy selling a similar frame on JDMUniverse.com) anyone know if Nissan did it as a factory option?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, just remembered I actually had a question to ask, and I'm sure it's a noob question so here is good.

On my Subaru with it's permanant AWD, I had to do tyre rotations all the time, and replace all 4 at once because having too much difference in the tread depth was apparently bad for it. Is this the same for ATESSA or can I replace them 2 at a time?

I figure since the car is RWD most of the time and only 4WD when you're driving like a nob it would be pretty dumb to design a system that required matched tread depth, but really I have no idea. Do I need to worry about it or not?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You have an R30 though! That thing must be even rarer than my Ceffy :notworthy

Anyone know an answer to my question about tyre rotations, or is it a case of read the damn FAQs noob! (I did look, honest!)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm near Blackwood, though you can probably also see the car at Buffy's from time to time.

He's just put my R33 brakes on for me, off on a work trip to Scotland tomorrow though, excuse to bed them in and have a nice leisurely drive down the B roads.

T

·
0 Posts
This is what I call an introduction! Ace car, And from what I've read ace person. Welcome :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Posting this from Edinburgh, didn't manage to put the car into a ditch or anything so clearly Buffy has done a top notch job on my brake swap, not that I expected anything less. Bloody good fun on the A701 in the wet, not quite as powerful as my old Legacy but that's easily corrected simply by throwing more money away ;)

Next up, Apexi cone air filter thingy (I figure I can just use an R32 one) then start saving for a custom exhaust, then a turbo, and an intercooler, and a nistune chip, and someone to map it afterwards.

There is a downside though, on a gentle all-motorway run at legal speeds, I managed 22.5 mpg. After that blat through the hills, 17.3 mpg

Oh well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have one of these things too. Brand new these were the most expenceve cefiro ever made by nissan! heres some info, 1st, its heavy at 1500kg! tires dont need to be changed at the same time as the 4wd system only kicks in only when there is a 5% or more difference in wheel speeds from front to back, the diff between a tire with full and no tread wont be more than 5%. the 4wd system also uses a g-forece sensor in the center console to sort how much drive to apply to the fronts, funnily enough it directs LESS power to the front when you corner hard, this is to induce oversteer rather than understeer which most 4wd cars suffer from. you can also revert the car to rwd by pulling the "4wd" fuse inder the bonnet, I do this when the car gets its brakes checked on rollers, otherwise the 4wd system kicks in and the front wheels pull the rears off the rollers, you sould also but it into 2wd if you need to use a tire that is a differnt size, ie the spare. Currently my se4 is getting a 2.5L turbo engine out of a 1996 rs4 stagea, Im going for 400hp/300kw at the wheels, im running a 1997 v-spec GTR gearbox and a nismo twin plate clutch. if you need any specific info feel free to ask as I have the fault codes for the 4wd system and I have been through all the drama of having to bleed the transfercase etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And here was me thinking I'd probably have the only one in the UK. :)

An RB25 is on my list but way in the future. I'm keeping it as an auto at least until I get a job with a lot less driving, with the limitations of the autobox I may as well just mod the RB20 a bit, aiming for 300bhp.

Right now the main thing I need to find out is pretty basic stuff, correct alignment settings (standard ones, I can only find drift setups online) service intervals, what oil to use (The R32 manual states 5W30, I'm currently running Silkolene 5W40 but it sounds a bit tappity) common faults etc.

Only fault I have currently is an issue where when cruising at a constant speed of 60-90mph the car runs a little lumpy. Apparently this is a common fault on Skylines caused by the MAF sensor being too close to the turbo, however I can't find anything about it on this forum.

Do you have pics of your car anywhere?

Edit: Also what sort of MPG were you getting when the car was still standard?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts