Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just playing with my imported R33 GTST

It came with a nice 2din Nissan branded head unit, 6 CD Changer & GPS Disk Changer.

The head unit has built in TV function but i can't get any tv stations when i try to tune the unit it.

Do i need a convertor like the radio band expander?

The head unit comes with a built in GPRS unit. Does anyone know when i can get a UK version of the maps etc... I can ditch TomTOm then :)

Cheers,

I'm posting pics in the restoration/projects section shortly...

DS

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there will be a hideaway brain and tuner box somewhere,get some pics up and we can work it out
Think i've found that. Hidden behind the boot liner by the side of the battery!?! Perhaps..

DS

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
that looks like either rebranded sony or pioneer to me,this could be difficult to resolve as its lots of modules and wires to check,is tv reception the only prob?

the model and/or serial number off the head unit would be very useful

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
sorry but you have zero chance getting it to work with TV. Unlike radio, you cant just use a band expander as Japanese and UK tv-standards are different. Japan uses NTSC, we use PAL. The head unit you have will be expecting an NTSC signal, the tuner you have will try to recieve an NTSC signal, and probably on a different range.

The only thing you could use it for is as a screen to a DVD player, games console etc with NTSC output. You could also try a parking camera etc.

However, due to the cost of a screen (peanuts these days), it's probably not worth the hassle trying to locate NTSC equipment to work with it.

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
ntsc pal switchable tv tuners arent hard to come by,its finding one with all the right connectors
Switchable tv tuners dont convert the signal though, they can just recieve either and output in the same standard, i.e. recieve pal output pal.

It also depends on how his system works. His head unit may well be more integrated with the tuner than just a video/audio reciever, it willl most likely control the tuner fully, in which case replacing the tuner is not an option.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that looks like either rebranded sony or pioneer to me,this could be difficult to resolve as its lots of modules and wires to check,is tv reception the only prob?

the model and/or serial number off the head unit would be very useful
Head has "Nissan CW725" google didn't return much :(

Not the boggo standard unit then (i wouldn't know what the standard GTS head unit looked like anyway :sorry: )

DS

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry but you have zero chance getting it to work with TV. Unlike radio, you cant just use a band expander as Japanese and UK tv-standards are different. Japan uses NTSC, we use PAL. The head unit you have will be expecting an NTSC signal, the tuner you have will try to recieve an NTSC signal, and probably on a different range.

The only thing you could use it for is as a screen to a DVD player, games console etc with NTSC output. You could also try a parking camera etc.

However, due to the cost of a screen (peanuts these days), it's probably not worth the hassle trying to locate NTSC equipment to work with it.
good call . Didn't think of the NTSC switch...

Humm

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it looks like it's seen better days anyway mate, and head units are so cheap now...

put it on ebay, im sure someone will buy it :D
Point taken. Do miss my mp3 Sony Explore head unit :)

I assume it's a standard DIN plug fitting if I replace the head or do I need convertor cable? I'll probably go with a replacement sony head unit TBH

Cheers again.

DS

·
Registered
781 Posts
there is a company that will convert this to work everything including the sat nav on ebay, but they charge £800.
my advice is to remove it all and get something like a pioneer avic-x1r if you want sat nav etc, and just put on the tv tuner as a extra, but you will never get a good picture on the move.
just buy a single din head unit and have done with it, must less hassel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts