Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive recently bought a r32 gts4 and it starts and drives but doesnt boost at all. ive checked all the intercooler pipes and theyre tight the fuel pump is workin fine. i also took off the maf pipe to check the turbo and the blades look ok and theres no play. ive also sprayed around the inlet manifold with brake cleaner and thats fine. the only thing i can think now is the cam angle angle sensor??? any ideas???

G

·
So the turbocharger spins/spools when you took a look? Could be the exhaust wheel, I.E. worn charger.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah mate spins ok. is there more blades in the back of the turbo? also when i drive it you can here a little whistle from turbo but no power at all. and the boost gauge registers about 0.3 bar when on full rev

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Yes there is the compressor side of the turbo (which you have checked) and also the exhaust wheel side (you need to remove the turbo elbow to check this) It's common for the exhaust wheel to snap off and make a bid for freedom down the frontpipe.

Check for boost leaks also,you say you can hear the turbo whistling? does it sound abnormal or excessive?? soapy water around the pipework and joiners should highlight any problems

Is there any smoke out the exhaust??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its front end of turbo i checked, the whistle sounded normal, its a ceramic turbo so there a bit fragile aint they? only normal smoke from exhaust. the reason i think its cam sensor is i read a thread on her and he had same problem and it was cas. also when its standing still it will revs up normal but when driving it splutters at high revs

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
its a crank angle sensor not a cam one

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
no its not the cam angle sensor at all and i know its on the cam

its so the ecu knows where the crank is so its knows if the piston is at the top so it can fire the plugs!

its been said on here by tuners is the crank angle sensor

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe your right mate but i cant see how its a crank sensor when it right in front of the cam. and when i looked on ebay its called a cam angle sensor so i dont know where your getting your info from

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
so you trust ebay listing brave you

Its been said by rsp on here

If it was a cam angle sensor it would not know where the pistons are for the ignition timing as the cams have a bit on them hwere there totally shut the valve. The piston can be up or down on this bit
So the ecu would not know properly when to fire the ignition. Ignition is always done from the crank position not the cam

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my apoligies my friend i just looked and its also called crank angle sensor. anyway do you think it could be that whats stopping it from boosting?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i checked all the intercooler pipes today and all seems ok. the only reason i think cas is beacause someone on here had same problem and it was cas. i will look at actuator though. cheers matey

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I doubt its the cas

For you spluttering problem I'd be looking at

Spark plugs and there the correct gap

Coil packs as I bet there starting to brake down.

And afm (all the cleaning in the world will not help it if is buggered mate)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Where are you getting the boost reading from? If its the stock dash one there ****, plus its measured in mmHg not bar.

What I'm not sure is weather the r32 gts4 has a two stage boost control as it could be stuck on first stage.

Could also be the actuator getting stuck. I soaked mine in wd40 the night before. Seemed to work.

What mods have you got.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.