Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Did a search but couldn't find any threads with a similar problem and as it's f**king cold at the moment it's slightly more of a concern.

When I got the car it had a slight overheating issue (see my previous thread) but this was all sorted by replacing the radiator and thermostat. But, ever since I've had the car I've never had much heat come through the vents if at all!

The car runs fine, no problem with coolant or oil and the engine stays at a good temperature but still never get any warmth in the car. Can feel air coming through the vents but it only ever comes through slightly warmer than outside air temperature.

My two thoughts are that it could be the heater matrix or needs an aircon regas although if it was the gas then surely there'd be warm air at some point.

Any ideas before I get upside down in the car trying to take the matrix out.

Cheers,
Brew

·
1,540 Posts
Do you get a smell of coolant in the cockpit when you have the heating turned on?.....
If so i would think your internal heating rad or one of the pipes is leaking. Either way you'll need to strip out the dash etc etc to get at it and replace it!
It shouldnt have anything to do with regassing your air con system. I have stripped my aircon out completely and i still manage to get warm air through the vents.

Its your heater matrix bud;)

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
could be the heater control arm stuck its beside the clutch pedal,

unlikley though, i would guess at air in the system

flush with hosepipe, park on a hill or jack the front of the car up so the rad is higher than the rear of the engine, fill up rad, turn car on, set heaters to hot, set fans to full, bubbles should come out the rad, keep toppping up until heaters get hot

·
Chris
460 Posts
could be the heater control arm stuck its beside the clutch pedal,
I was going to mention that. Its worth looking at anyway.

Stick your head in the footwell were your left foot would go and look up towards the back of your headunit. Fiddle with the heat setting and you should see the servo arm moving. Make sure its not sticking on anything and its going all the way (give it a push).

I had the same problem and a good bleeding session with water flying out the radiator cap like a volcano and it did make a good difference to the heating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, will check the control arm this evening and see if that's sticking.

I'm pretty confident that there's no air in the system after going through the turmoil of tracking down the overheating issue.

If it's not the arm I'll get the heater matrix out when I get the chance which will probably be the weekend.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It sounds to me either low coolant or air in the system. Check your coolant level and check for bubbles when engines running and pressure in the system when cold to eliminate head gasket. I had this on my 55 plate Navara and it turned out to be the head gasket, although it would piss water/coolant out the overflow due to increased pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.