Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all anyone have any idea what could be causing my r33 to have no low boost? The second stage comes in fine at 4500rpm but it is just dead until then, needle comes out of vacuum the minute I put my foot down but won’t boost until 4.5k.
It’s been off the road for about 10 months but I did notice it the last time I drove it so it hasn’t happened in storage.
I’ve had the car for 4 year’s and when I first got it I did the high boost mod from the how to guide on here I think, the one where you remove the solenoid, cap off the hose that went into it and ground a certain wire I can’t remember the exact process but I followed it to a T and I have had high boost on both stages for the 4 year’s I’ve had it with no issues until now.
I had a look and found that the hose that was capped off had popped off the hard pipe on the other end so I put it back on thinking job done easy fix but still nothing so now I’m scratching my head.
The only other thing I can think is that the cable that had to be earthed is no longer earthed but I can’t for the life of me remember where it is 😂
Anyway if anyone has any suggestions where to check I’d appreciate it

mark

·
Registered
105 Posts
its just going to be a matter of checking all the hoses to make sure you dont have a vacuum/boost leak. That's what it sounds like from the symptoms I'm afraid, slow spool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the help, would a vacuum/boost leak not effect the high boost aswell as the low boost?
I’m just curious why the second stage boost is fine
Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I’ve finally had time to take a look and try and fix the problem and i did for about 5 minutes and then back to no low boost so now I’m even more confused 🤷‍♂️
I’ve checked all the hose’s for cracks/leaks and didn’t find anything except for a tiny crack on the 12mm hose coming out of the hard pipe and would have gone into the factory solenoid but now goes into a turbosmart manual boost controller, the crack was on the other side of the clamp (nearer the cut end) so i cut 10mm of the end of the hose and reclamped, i also took the boost controller apart to make sure the ball wasn’t stuck or anything but all seemed fine and finally I unplugged the negative terminal on the battery and depressed the brake pedal as i read something on the aus owners club about it resetting the ecu and that it was worth a try.
Anyway one of the 3 thing’s i did fixed my problem and i could tell straight away that it was boosting even while driving slowly and after it got up to temp i put my foot down and boost gauge was showing full boost through all the revs, so problem solved happy day’s.. except I’m on my way back home and go to give it some and nothing again 😡 until 4500rpm.

Completely baffled now so anymore help or advice would be great.
My setup is practically stock but i have done the high boost mod as mentioned above so i have the turbosmart manual boost controller in place of the stock solenoid and i T’d into the stock boost gauge to put a mechanical gauge that reads in psi in the dash but there is no leaks/cracks around the T.
I don’t actually use the boost controller at the moment so it is set fully closed.
Could i just run a hose straight from the hard pipe to the wastegate and do away with the boost controller for now? Or does the ball and spring prevent boost pressure going backwards? That maybe a stupid question but I’d like to be sure before i do it.

mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts