Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through the haynes manual for our fiat brava i decided that changing the timing belt really wasn't a hard job so set to doing it myself.
After discovering it is bolted together with silly size bolts and torx screws i got as far as locking down the crank and cams with some fiat tool, am now slightly confused. See link to fiat forum.

If anyone has any input i would be grateful to hear it.

:cheers:

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
well you can lock the cam/s but you cant lock the crank?

id just keep the top locked and double check TDC with a extention through the sparkplug hole, fit the belt and rotate twice after to check timing marks

as for the hole....dont know

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to haynes and with the evidence of this tool you should be able to lock the crank too but as i say, doesnt seem to line up. The TDC mark on the crank pulley/lower cover was slightly off when the cam was locked. Would you concur that it could be a tooth out already?
This is the first timing belt i've done since about 1992 under the supervision of my dad! Checking the tdc with extension...just place in the bore and turn over (manually)to check when its at highest positon, yes?

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
yes it sounds like its a tooth out...top lines up but bottom does not

TDC yes insert and turn by hand

dont forget to rotate the engine twice by hand to realign the marks back up as a double check before you hit the key...any resistance whilst turning by hand, back off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts