Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i need a little advice.

I'm sorting out an oil change on a 2001 rover 25. thing is its the gearbox oil. and its a 1600 with CVT gearbox.

I've rang opie, visited halfrauds, spent all day on the web and i cannot find a definitive as to whether anything other than:

Esso EZL799 or BMW ECVT fluid 83 22 0 136 376

can be used.

I cant source either of the above and as we all know cos rover went bust its a pain in the butt getting info.

anyone got info and or experience of this ? any advice welcome.

si

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked it up on Autodata and this is whats listed - Unipart CVT - 4.5litres

everything i've read today says steer clear of the unipart oil. though oddly the OEM stuff was manufactured by....yup unipart

i seem to have narrowed it to either the fuchs cvt oil (opie - though we aren't sure)

or castrol atf tq-d

·
Administrator
25,973 Posts
id just fire in atf mate :)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
fella let a garage change it

that way if they put the wrong stuff in you have comeback when the gearbox shits it self

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fella let a garage change it

that way if they put the wrong stuff in you have comeback when the gearbox shits it self

aye, but tis a problem there. the garage will do it and charge the owners of the car to "fix" a gearbox that's shafted by wrong oil.

tis'nt my car, I'm doing this as a job for someone, so it gets done right and
ch£ap.

I reckon im going down the tq-d route. ive seen two recomendations for that, and i trust opie when they say fushs isnt right, so its worth a shot.

si.

·
Administrator
25,973 Posts
aye, but tis a problem there. the garage will do it and charge the owners of the car to "fix" a gearbox that's shafted by wrong oil.

tis'nt my car, I'm doing this as a job for someone, so it gets done right and
ch£ap.

I reckon im going down the tq-d route. ive seen two recomendations for that, and i trust opie when they say fushs isnt right, so its worth a shot.

si.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=268588

there you go mate and you even see the oil he uses :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
If i am not mistaken BMW (MINI) cvt oil has superseeded to a number that ends in 154. I can find out the whole number if needed as I only used it yesterday!

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i am not mistaken BMW (MINI) cvt oil has superseeded to a number that ends in 154. I can find out the whole number if needed as I only used it yesterday!
yes please mate,

ive been told that theres a fiesta witha cvt, but the ford oild got an anti foaming agent in so no good.

its a royal pain..

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks fuel burner,

as it happens i followed up a lead on an xpart dealer (ex rover network aparently) now honda. they supplied 5 litres of "rover/mg cvt fluid" with same part number you quoted. and say they can get more if required.

seems to have been just the job, as the little rover 25 is a happy camper up the hills now....hardly surprising as what came out the box had all the lucubration properties of sand.

and it took a bit of heat to get the plug out...so first change in 8 years I'd wager.

job well done thanks guys.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks fuel burner,

as it happens i followed up a lead on an xpart dealer (ex rover network aparently) now honda. they supplied 5 litres of "rover/mg cvt fluid" with same part number you quoted. and say they can get more if required.

seems to have been just the job, as the little rover 25 is a happy camper up the hills now....hardly surprising as what came out the box had all the lucubration properties of sand.

and it took a bit of heat to get the plug out...so first change in 8 years I'd wager.

job well done thanks guys.

i spoke to soon. three days later its back on my drive. all signs are pointing to an internal component failiure, that while not terminal needs the box to part company with the car.

it seems im dealing with the electronic variant of the box too... the

ZF CVT VT1-32AElectronic *
Looks like the Rover/Volvo CVT
Internal parts are completely different
Electronically managed
Main vehicles fitted with this CVT: Rover 25 & 45 MG

so ... looks like i am spending christmas under a car taking said gearbox out....

i was just thinking i'd be bored too.... chuckles..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts