Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some ideas guys n' gals..

Went to start the Camry V6 which has sat untouched for over a year now, charged flat battery and turned the key, as always after a long spell stood idle it started in a couple of seconds, well pleased.

Then after a couple of seconds it died, long story short, it starts every time but just peters out over a few seconds. Accelerator action does nothing, doesn't rev and still cuts out, yes there's fuel in the tank, around a third full.

All ideas for where to look welcome.

Aitch

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
It could be the fuel, if its been sitting for a year or so. I take it you have checked the plugs etc also?

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
we have an audi in our garage just now and has same probs been left 2 years in a garage,and it appears to have water in fuel tank dont know how but it has so try running new fuel through the lines mate.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tanks been a 3rd full at least..can't smell petrol so doubt a leak anywhere..plugs were changed a few hundred miles prior to lay up.

It's pulling fuel as it starts every turn of the key and runs for a couple of seconds. I notice there's a fair bit of flexing going on with the convoluted flexible pipework between AFM and inlet, not noticed that before but as I've never had a problem with the car in the many years we've had it I wasn't looking before.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll check some more but keep them coming!

Aitch

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that's not as unlikely as it first sounds..!

Can't see it being water or plugs, as when it fires for that couple of seconds it's smooth as silk.

Off rat hunting for a mo..

Aitch

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Probably disconnecting air filter or whole intake pipe(work) and firing it up without to rule intake out? Would check same things other guys already mentioned: plugs, fuel and fuel filter.

Let us know what it was please...good luck!

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
couple of things to try,

take the plugs out and leave them out over night , just in case you have a build up of fuel in the top of the engine - unlikely but you never know - plugs would probs be wet

does it have a dizzy cap, as toyota instisted on using them forever lol, give it a good clean make sure you not gettong any spark leakage,

give the AFM/MAF a good blast with carb cleaner

cant really be to much away with it has to be somewher between fuel, plugs, leads and the amp/dizzy

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
aitch if you have a truck and dont mind a trip to scotland i have had one siting for about 5 years if you want it for spares when left the engine was sound

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Stef, but that's exactly my situation! The motor was fine when last driven back from Leeds Bradford Airport some considerable time ago, it's been our airport car for around 5 years having been demoted to that role when I got rid of the old Merc. Now I'm giving it to a local guy (TV writer) for spares or even to use his for spares for ours, whatever, but then this..who needs it!

Aitch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts