Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, I recentley got an R33 2L straight 6 non turbo automatic.. and whilst I am aware that this is probably 'the weakest LINK' among the Skyline peeps and their performance R33's..

BUT! My 1st Question is :- What engine modifications etc can I do without adding a Turbo to get the most out of her?

I hope to hear some good suggestions that'll both help me and other non-turbo auto drivers in their mission for a faster better performing R33..

Feel free to add LINK's and Pics, it'd be nice to have a thread devoted to beefing up the "R33 GTS NON TURBO AUTOMATIC's" ..As I'am finding it hard getting info on this topic.. :(

Many Thanks - Martin AkA/ Skyline-Noob :cheers:

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
A manual conversion will give you the biggest gain.

Custom made exhaust manifold and exhaust - do it wrong and you'll lose power
POD filter with a cold air box and cold air intake

Beyond that, very little without spending a lot... and the gains from doing the above will be trivial.
The RB20E is the entry level RB, personally I'd just save my money

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Beyond that, very little without spending a lot... and the gains from doing the above will be trivial.
Unfortunately I only hold an Automatic License, How would the custom exhaust manifold differ from the standard one? Can you add pics/LINK's of the relavent Pod Filter/s, Cold Air Box? and Cold Intake etc...

When you say...without spending alot...How much is alot roughly??

I do plant to get an Automatic GTS-T Turbo...but not for a few years yet and would like to do as much as I can to my non-turbo auto in that time :) - Martin.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
POD Filter/s..

^ Is this the sort of POD filter I should get ?? - Martin.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Tbh mate ud be better off saving. As u could spend thousands on the car to make 30-40 bhp. Id say if u really want power just now go nos as its really cheapest way to go for the gains, or what i would do instead of spending a few grand on a new car to then modify, why not spend next year or so sorting your car and convert it to a turbo ie engine swap? U will know the car so no hidden gremlins and would have a well sorted car?

Or get a manual license and get a gtr ;)

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cold Air Box..

Am I correct in thinking the Cold Air Box is a box that sections off the warmer engine parts..and houses the Mushroom Filter within ??

If so on the scale of 1-10 how easy is it to install ??

If I'am wrong in my presumption please correct me...I'am a 'Super-Noob' :) lol..- Martin.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's an NA section on here with a few good pointers in it.

Also, as a fellow NA auto owner, I've been tempted by the modifications you can do on the auto box. There's a thread somewhere about blocking off sections of the oil ciruclation to give significantly quicker gear changes. I think the basic idea is to disable one of the accumulators in the gearbox.....don't quote me on that though. It seems to be quite a common mod for Jap autos. I know it's often done on Soarers.

With the NA, I just had to accept that I was never going to get big power.

One thing the NA does better than any turbo engine is sound.... Get a nice free flowing exhaust and enjoy the noise! Be aware that the usual aftermarket turbo exhausts tend to be a little too big a bore, so just sound too loud. Mine has a nice custom one on that is relatively narrow and sounds great.

Personally, I'd just do an air filter and exhaust, then consider modifying the auto box.

You could look at throttle bodies or carbs, but the cost would outweigh the benefits.

If you really want more, it could be a case of engine swaps.....mine is the 2.5 and I find it pulls along quite nicely.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tbh mate ud be better off saving. As u could spend thousands on the car to make 30-40 bhp. Id say if u really want power just now go nos as its really cheapest way to go for the gains, or what i would do instead of spending a few grand on a new car to then modify, why not spend next year or so sorting your car and convert it to a turbo ie engine swap? U will know the car so no hidden gremlins and would have a well sorted car?

Or get a manual license and get a gtr ;)
Yeah I get that impression.. hmm.. well I wont be defeated and may do the modifications mentioned so far.......and run NOS too just for a bit of fun as and when I go to Santa Pod with my mates etc..

As far as using NOS goes do you know if I'd need any of the engine parts replaced/upgraded or whether the standard engine could handle it ??

I do like the idea of a turbo conversion...and I read that its possible to change out the fuel tank from a 2L to a 3L.. I could and may well take that route :) :)

I'd still like to do what I can though.. Its in my blood to make bad things better...even if it takes a while..

I'd love to get a GTR :dogpile: ...I cant see myself finding the time yet..to lear/take a test in a manual.. Never say "never" though.. :) - Martin

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
Air filter will reduce power

Exhaust will reduce power

Cams will reduce low end torque and driveabilty will be a thing of the past

Nitrous is road legal, you can add 100bhp on a bone stock engine no problems at all but it's not cheap

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
One problem is... there are no ECU chips or aftermarket ECUs available for the 20E - meaning if you take the mod level above the basics (POD, exhaust etc) controlling the mods won't be easy....

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157838
^^^
That's a cold air box I made for my car, while it's an R32 the principle is exactly the same :)

Tbh mate ud be better off saving. As u could spend thousands on the car to make 30-40 bhp.
This sums it up perfectly... and that power gain is very conservative

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There's an NA section on here with a few good pointers in it.

Also, as a fellow NA auto owner, I've been tempted by the modifications you can do on the auto box. There's a thread somewhere about blocking off sections of the oil ciruclation to give significantly quicker gear changes. I think the basic idea is to disable one of the accumulators in the gearbox.....don't quote me on that though. It seems to be quite a common mod for Jap autos. I know it's often done on Soarers.

With the NA, I just had to accept that I was never going to get big power.

One thing the NA does better than any turbo engine is sound.... Get a nice free flowing exhaust and enjoy the noise! Be aware that the usual aftermarket turbo exhausts tend to be a little too big a bore, so just sound too loud. Mine has a nice custom one on that is relatively narrow and sounds great.

Personally, I'd just do an air filter and exhaust, then consider modifying the auto box.

You could look at throttle bodies or carbs, but the cost would outweigh the benefits.

If you really want more, it could be a case of engine swaps.....mine is the 2.5 and I find it pulls along quite nicely.
Hi Col, I like the sound of the quicker gear changes in the 'Auto-Box' would the car still be fine running low revs etc whilst just driving around town as well as speedy changes whilst my foots firmly on the firewall?

^When I got the car it already had a 4" straight through exhaust (no CAT + no Mid Box) and a 4" Unknown after Market Exhaust..

LOUD! .....Its very loud...so much so that I am contemplating adding a 'remote adjustable butterfly door' ...it does sound good....but so SO "LOUD" lol...

I was going to add a bigger bore exhaust (HKS SUPER DRAGGER) 4.5 - 5" bore for a meatier meaner growl.. But also wanted to add the butterfly valve to reduce the noise when in built up/residential areas..

Would the for-mentioned custom manifold be off an added benefit too ??

An Engine Upgade is not out of the question (ultimately)..but for the 1st year or so it is :( so other mods will be done :) - Martin.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool Box ...

One problem is... there are no ECU chips or aftermarket ECUs available for the 20E - meaning if you take the mod level above the basics (POD, exhaust etc) controlling the mods won't be easy....

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157838
^^^
That's a cold air box I made for my car, while it's an R32 the principle is exactly the same :)

This sums it up perfectly... and that power gain is very conservative

Is this also known as forced induction...or is that something else?? - Martin.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NOS!

Air filter will reduce power

Exhaust will reduce power

Cams will reduce low end torque and driveabilty will be a thing of the past

Nitrous is road legal, you can add 100bhp on a bone stock engine no problems at all but it's not cheap
How will I loose power? ..I thought these mods were generally made to gain power...(sorry for Noob-ish Question) ..

Is NOS road legal in the UK ?? - I've heard of Wet and Dry shot NOS..which would be better ?? Is it possible to run it remotely ?? - Martin.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
You would want a wet nitrous kit, N/A tuning is different to turbo tuning....changing the exhaust normally always means a drop in performance and the same for air filters.

We have always been led to believe differently due to advertisement in magazines but the truth is out there and the Internet is old enough Nd wise enough to know better now.

Cams will reduce low end torque and give you more bhp higher up in the rpm range, good for a track car but horrible for a road going daily driver

Nitrous is the saving grace, stock car, big power, more torque, higher bhp and the only drawback is cost

·
Registered
104 Posts
I understand how a pod filter/induction kit can lose power.... but what about a correctly designed cold air intake with pod filter? Poirot, I do agree though..... Nissan spend a fortune designing air boxes, which tend to work very well. I know there has been a lot of testing on Toyotas (Soarers and LS400) in the past. It was often found that the standard air box was the best setup.

So, assuming the standard air box is the best design, what about a drop-element, like the K&N items? Do they offer a benefit?

As for exhausts, I thought aftermarket could help NA and restrict less. I know there is a lot of discussion about back pressure and velocities, but I thought a well designed exhaust could offer a benefit.

·
NEW TO ALL THINGS NISSAN
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You would want a wet nitrous kit, N/A tuning is different to turbo tuning....changing the exhaust normally always means a drop in performance and the same for air filters.

We have always been led to believe differently due to advertisement in magazines but the truth is out there and the Internet is old enough Nd wise enough to know better now.

Cams will reduce low end torque and give you more bhp higher up in the rpm range, good for a track car but horrible for a road going daily driver

Nitrous is the saving grace, stock car, big power, more torque, higher bhp and the only drawback is cost
If I was to run NOS....(I'll look into that shortly) would it then pay to have the other mods done as well, or just some of them ??

Also with the POD Filter, exhaust, custom manifold, cool box etc.. how much BHP would be lost..

I may well replace the entire Exhaust system ...I want a nice polished one :) :) but what size erm..pipes would my car benefit most from ?? ..I still want a fairly loud deep grumble but a power gain would be great too :) !! - Martin.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts