Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Myself and PP have been kicking this idea around for a wee while. just putting the feelers out to see who inthe northeast would be willing to work on or perhaps donate any spare parts (we all got stuff cluttering up the garage right?) to the project?

potential car would be rb20det, with either a manual or auto with sequential shift.......

The final car would be potentially available to the forum, used at shows and drift evetns and generally to promote all things skylineowners.com

would most likely be getting built at PP's as i have limited space......
so who want to get their hands dirty ?

This drift thing is all BIG CHIEFS fault...knockhill was soooooo much fun i want me some of that!!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hesh, No auto unless it gets changed to manual.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
autos no good then? i thought a sequential box with a hold function might work?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Come On Guys This Is Some Thing Fun For Us All To Play With And Have An Input, Also Help Make Final Decisions On Styling And Graphics And Making The Best Of Wot We Can Get Our Hands On,

As Hesh Says Its Something Weve Been Talking About For A While Now , And Alot Of Thought Has Gone Into It (cheers Hesh;))

Even Tho Financing The Drift Car Will Be Difficult We Believe Its Acheivable Over Time And As Hesh Says Any Donations On Parts Big Or Small Will Be Really Apreciated,

Come On Lets All Get I9nvolved In This Project For Us (our Own Amusment ) And For The So.com

I Expect To See Some Of Our Local Boys Offering A Hand In This Even If It Is Just An Opinion Lets Do It!"!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
The running costs are high. i do it on a tight budget with my Sierra and it still shocks me adding it up.

·
Registered
812 Posts
autos no good then? i thought a sequential box with a hold function might work?

EVEN SO I WOULDNT BE A PROGECT IF IT WAS EASY LOL

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats the rough cost to run a drift car for a year mate?

i reckon the build to get a usable car form where we are now is around £1000 and maybe 100 150 hours of work .....

more if we need to go manual ......

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
I have got a tomie metel head gasket, ss manifold and a japspeed elbow/downpipe if there any good. if not i will put them on Ebay and the money will go to the project.

·
Registered
735 Posts
First a car £?

Strip it out of all the ****, A/C, Trim, and any thing thats not needed to run the car. £free

Hicas lock it off.£60

Weld up the diff. £ free if you do it yourself.

Spare wheels, one set for track and another or more to drift on.

Right the running cost. I have mine on a trailor and use the skyline to tow with (i know how bad is that), £500 for the trailor. Or road tax + insurance +mot.

Tyres, i have a deal with a tyre firm. The cost is almost free, but i use dead tyres so they don't last long. Therefor i have 10 wheels i take with me.
But a new tyre will last from 1 to 3 10min sessions all depends on the track and how hard the car is driven.
Spinning the car and flooring the throttle, lots of smoke going no where kills the tyres and limits fun time behind the wheel.
16" or 17" cheap tyres are about £40 maybe a bit cheaper. Work on 6 tyres a drift day possibly more.

Fuel, 9 mpg or less on track with the Sierra (no turbo) i take 2 20L cans and a half tank in the car. Normaly only use one can but its better to have more.

Then there is the cost of the day. From £5 upwards. Teesside is £50 at the moment.

Then there are repairs. On a track only car as long as bits arn't flapping off. Just tape it up.
A road car will need fixing to an mot standard.

Edited this to add.

Drfiting is soooooooooooooo much fun. When you get it right the buzz is too much.
Drifting = Fun. Put a price on that.

Oh and a roll cage £650 fitted not needed but its safe.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok time to let the cat out the bag, the car is my grey project ...

its gotten uneconomical to sell on for a road car so i thought why not make use of it .....

at present it has the rb20e and an auto box. ...so whip them out and replace with manual and rb20det (similar if not identical block dimentions and add all the other stuff youve mentioned rob and there ya go....a good start ......

Keith what is the head gasket for mate? an rb20 or 25? i suspect the latter? my preference is for the rb20 simlpy cos im guesstimating itll be easier to fit.....

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well all donations to the cause of going sideways would be great. ...the head gasket will have a differnet bore to the rb20, but that said depedent on the block we source we could bore it out to make an rb24....which is the same bore as the rb25 but with the stroke of the rb20...so it may be of use you never know.....

edit sorry that would have to be an rb25 block with an rb20 crank .....my bad.....

·
Registered
735 Posts
OK. R33 then. It needs an RB25DET due to it being a heavy car or it needs to go on a diet big time. This means stripping to the bone.

But its a 4 door is int it Si ? Pimp it, matt black.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Excellent, As Said Alls Welcome :) Cheers Skylinepart :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Top man Scotty, didn't know if you could help out with this.
Looks like you can put some go into the project, RB power.

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
nice one scotty very generous of you all for the cause ,cause i want to lol

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
if i can i will help out ( work and gf permiting )

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
Just skimmed the gist of the thread, but if you guys haven't sourced a car yet, there's a 32 gts-t over on Driftwork going for 2 and a half. Looks pretty clean.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts