Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps ,
Finally got my r33 gts on the road and its sooo sweet i dont want to stop when i get home i just want to keep driving ......

Just one thing i have noticed is that when cold changing up into second its notchy you feel it rather than hear it .
When shes warm its like silk .

So can anyone suggest a quality oil , years ago we used to put engine oil in boxes when this happened but oils have moved on since i was in the trade , so any advice or experience would very much appreciate it .

Will post piccies when i fathom how to do it .

Many thanks in advance paul:40oz:

E

·
0 Posts
Mines exactly the same. I had a new clutch recently & the gearbox oil was changed. Dont know what was in there before but Millers 75 w 90 Synthetic hasn`t helped at all. Made it worse if anything.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Its the gearbox oil, it is not a fault it is the fluid which is used. Unfortunately when it is cold it makes movement through it hard.

When it is warm as you say it is nice.

However the benefits are if it wasnt able to soak up the heat created by the box you would be having more problems when it was warm.

It is a quirkyness of the car which is not a problem as it soon goes away, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yup, mines the same and pretty much everyone else I have spoken to said the same thing! Just like Sarky says, one of the foibles of owning a GTS! :) :40oz:

E

·
0 Posts
So is there a better gearbox oil we can use then? What did Nissan use when they built em?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no dude i just let it go , as the weather warmed it nearly dissapeared , thought about experimenting with new oils bit didnt bother ...

·
JDM all the way
353 Posts
Alright Peeps.

All cars are damn notchy when they are cold.

Let the car idle for a minute in the morning before driving off and should make progress a bit smoother initially.

i always let my cars idel for a min and giv it some gentle revving b4 driving off as this lets the oil circulate a bit b4 putting a strain on components.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I build circuit race cars, engines and transaxles for a living, and we use Motul Gear 300 (see www.motul.com) I was never a believer in any particular gear oil being much better than any other respected branded on, but I have been running a Supersports GT car that's putting double hewlands recommended torque through one otheir transaxles. The diff (CWP) used to last 6 races with a quality generic gear oil. We tried Motul and we are now seeing a seasons racing from the same set up. I was convinced. Caveat, we now stock and sell this tuff, but I am giving an honest and unbiased opinion. If you asked what the ultimate engine oil was I'd send you to Neo, which we don't sell :)
I ran Motul Gear 300 in my GTR gearbox and diffs, and the notchiness was all buy gone.

·
JDM all the way
353 Posts
Cool!

I'll be giving that Motul stuff a try.

So wot engine oil do u peeps recommend?

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
In a GTS-T............?

Don't go too thin,15w 40 minimum.

Have you done an ECU reset?

Disconnect the Battery,turn the steering L+R 10 times.

Reconnect.

Warm up,drive hard.

ECU's learn.

My -T was so sluggish after my battery drained,charged it,drove it slowly for a while for it's MOT,felt aweful.

Did a re-set,opened it up,all back to normal.I don't have any notchyness in any gear.

Just a shot in the dark?

·
Registered
772 Posts
kennyhkw said:
Cool!

I'll be giving that Motul stuff a try.

So wot engine oil do u peeps recommend?

I use Valvoline Syn-Power in everything from the lawn mower to historic F1 engines. It's proven itself a great synthetic oil, holding pressure at seriously elevated oil temps where others have dropped considerably. It's not as expensive as Mobil 1, and is approved by Cosworth for their race engines. We use Neo zero weight in some formula engines where the maximum reduction in parasitic oil drag outweighs engine longevity (F3 engines, for example), but would NOT recommend it in any road car engine. Mobil 1 is fine, just more expnsive then Valvoline, and as it's never given us ANY concern, unlike some Shell products, we stick with it.

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
i had grinding problems when my gear oil was hot, but changed to red line heavy shockproof and has solved the problem, although you have to warm up a bit in the morning as you find it notchy but goes after about a minute

1 - 17 of 17 Posts