Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I thought I'd document my notes here in case they're useful to anyone else.

I got a Metra double DIN dash kit for the GT (ordered the Connects2 one but that's another story) and the 70-7551 cable harness to link up the Kenwood DDX head unit. Once all of the bits had arrived it wasn't actually too much of a job to get it all together.

Getting the old dash out was a question of using the instructions that came with the kit and supplementing them with info from the magic of the interwebs! Bottom line, start form the outside and work in because everything below the mid line of the dash needs to come off.

The DDX fitted into the new dash pretty well, but there's not way to utilise the metal frame and therefore the release keys, it's a permanent installation. I did toy with the idea of re-installing the original screen and controls, but frankly it's of no use so I'm probably going to either get one of the stock storage cubbys or perhaps something else (any ideas appreciated!).

After the initial fit the volume level was REALLY low! I did more research and checked a few things - add ground wire, make sure the amp-power is connected etc. etc. - but the bottom line is that the output of the line connectors (RCA sockets) on the DDX simply isn't enough to feed the amp. I read that the Bose wants a 4v line level and the DDX puts out about 1.5v (or something like that). More research and my choice was either a pair of stereo line drivers (more cost and space) or take the speaker feeds from the DDX and feed them to the amp.
Now usually this isn't a good idea as the speaker voltage levels are much higher and you end up with clipping even low down the volume range. The DDX though has a setting which enables you to reduce the output level at source, after testing the wiring (I soldered some RCA sockets tot he stereo loom and plugged in the 7551 plugs), I knocked the output level on the DDX down to -10 and everything is peachy!

Tools used:-

Pliers, snips, wire strippers, soldering kit, selection of cross-head bits and a battery screwdriver, RCA sockets, heat-shrink / insulating tape.

That's it, all working including the mic for the B-Tooth mobile phone interface positioned just next to the clock bezel and the USB connection in the cup-holders next to the arm rests.
Pics will follow tomorrow when it's stopped raining!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The kit and DDX in place.

DDX looking pretty.

USB port in cup holder

Added RCA sockets.

Mic secured on the dash, the cable is secure but not nipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So those are the pics of the installation. Still not sure whether to source a standard cubby it do something else with the empty hole...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is something I've got to do to mine, I've got the kit, just need to decide on head unit and set up I want.

I may keep Jdm pop up screen and link in to aux port.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did think about that, but practically I'd not use it for anything much and it was looking like being a pain reinstating the metal frame which hold the screen assembly in place.

I may fabricate something simple to hold a phone or see what additional gauges I can put in there.. we'll see!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did think about that, but practically I'd not use it for anything much and it was looking like being a pain reinstating the metal frame which hold the screen assembly in place.

I may fabricate something simple to hold a phone or see what additional gauges I can put in there.. we'll see!

Additional gauges is a good idea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts