Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

does anyone know if the square number plates with the smaller writing going across the middle, and not standard size with 2 lines is legal???? as i have a personalised plate that i want to put on my car and it would look pretty crap if it was 2 lines and not just the one!!!!

S50TTE instead of S50
TTE

If anyone knows i would appreciate it!!!
i know i could put a normal rectangular one on the front but its just the back that would look shite, and would rather both plates to b the same

ta
scottie

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I got this link from somewhere http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022687.htm

Basically, I worked out that 1 letter, plus 1 or 2 digits, plus 3 letters can be fit onto one line in the standard jap plate size and still be within the regulations. I haven't yet had one made up to that spec though. If anyone knows where it can be done let uz know!:)

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks grinder thats a big help!!!! i've been tempted to get it done for a while, but didnt want the cops to give me another 3 points to the additional 9, but it seems that i will be ok, think i know of someone as well that can do them

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
No probs!

I might have one made up on 1 line for mine, even though I've got all 3 digits in my number. It would be a bit wide to fit the gap in the recess in the front bumper, but I reckon it would still look better than the 'dinner-tray' thats on there now.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I just had mine made custom sizes (for shows only of course), but keep forgetting to take them off. Not been stopped yet !!!

Moff

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moff can u send me a pic !!!! just want to see if its what i want done

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I'm going to do this too once I can spare the £250 to buy my plate.

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
I've worked this out for mine (7 letters long) at it's 3inch too long for the recess, but I'm using a "show" plate at the minute and the coppers have only stopped me once. I showed them the HMSO document and told them it fit the recess and they were happy :D

Here's the "Show" plate

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
With 1 numerical digit I managed to chop down a standard legal plate for the front recess and it just fits, therefore I think the rear would be the same.

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Sco-j - I left the rear as a 2 row style as mine isn't personalised to a name like yours (just wanted GTT)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sco-j,

My front one is the same as Ian H. The rear one is only slightly smaller than normal, the letters are all on one line.

Go to www.gtgrafix.co.uk they do any size plates you want, with borders, writing under the plates, 3D blaahblah

Hope this helps

Moff

·
Registered
102 Posts
13"x7"

gtgrafix made plates for me, front a single line like IanH, The rear a single line across a square plate. I've only 5 characters and they made it with legal size letters and spaces

1 - 20 of 36 Posts