Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, not yet a skyline owner but i may soon become one as ive been offered a 1991 R32 GTR for £6k but it has a slight problem.
The car is standard apart from nismo wheels and a hks back box.
The problem it has is that it cuts out occasionally - but quite often if you know what i mean! appears to be at totally random times, when you boot it it sometimes just won't rev as if it a rev limit cut but at what ever revs your at, it also does it when its idleing - one minute it's fine then it cuts to about 500 revs almost stalling then picking up again.
So any ideas what it could be and is it worth taking a chance on??

Cheers for any replies. Paul.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
the probs do sound like r32gtr's which were coil packs and sparks i think, with these cars the popular broken electrics seem to be;

coil packs (one for each cylinder but usually only one or two are bust)
fault AFM
fault crank angle sensor (this is rarer than the other two)

these things aren't too expensive to fix you just need to get a multimeter to test the coil packs and AFM to see where the prob is.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd go with the Air Flow Meters, but as mentioned, could well also be the coil packs. Maybe even a combination of both. You have to remember the car's 12 years old, so stuff like this is going to happen. Any R32 GTR owners near you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is the car worth it do you think? If i have it it'll be on thursday, it's reasonably clean, 90k km, bonnet needs respraying due to a few stone chips as does the rear bumper due to a bit of a scuff, tax'd and mot'd, will need tyres soon and the downpipe/centre section has been bodged to remove the cat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's either a bargain or a very expensive mistake. I'd have a very close look before parting with any cash.

Phil

·
Bullet Tooth Tony
3,068 Posts
maybe get the AA to do a vehicle report and a hpi check?
Also have you rung the likes of RKtuning, GTart, HI-teq, Abbey and see what they have to say on the running fault side,
would prob be able to give you an idea of what its likey to cost to fix as well, then knock the bloke down somemore :):)
good luck!
tony

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Hiya sorry for the delay in reply to this but I've just moved and the computer has remained in the box it was packed in on Sunday morning until about an hour ago. Indeed I did have the same problem. Driving along and the car just feels like it misses several revolutions and then picks up fine again and while sat on idle it just stalls or tries to stall but recovers. A quick trip to Abbey motorsport discovered the problem and it was indeed the Air Flow Metres. Luckily I bought my car for £11K on finance with a warranty and the warranty paid for them as they came to something between £700 and £800 for the two. The only way to get around replacing them is apparently to buy an aftermarket product from HKS I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone else on here will and that resolves the need for AFMs. All in all I have found my 32GTR to be a workhorse of unbelievable power and reliability so far touch wood. The car is awesome and gets some unbelievable looks everywhere you go. Also when you turn up to skyline meets like Gaydon the R32 appears to be the rareist version of the skyline and the R32 GTR is even rarer. I would say check the car thoroughly for rust, engine cleanliness (If it's TOO clean it's been pressure washed probably for sale and has oil leaks etc, if it's filthy it's had problems previously and depending how fresh some of the oil is it still will have), drive the car without any stereo on and no one talking and check for noises. If you can hear a slight bit of plastic movement then that isn't a huge problem and can be remedied but if you hear anything like a wheel bearing it may be looking into the cost of a new one. Find out when the cam belt was changed and the last change of plugs and oil was done, check the oil colour, the second you start the car start looking out the back window for smoke from the exhaust. If there is alot of smoke on start up it could be a busted turbo or even both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts