Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've a lot of searching and haven't really found an answer to how offset effects handling and cornering.

The standard offset on my car is 30, so can I drop to 20? or even 15?

What are the pros and cons.

Cheers

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
if you increase offset you will have a wider track which should be better for stability and cornering and stuff
tbh i found the steering on my previous car to be shitty with increased offset, if the road was uneven (like for draining rain to the side) it had the tendency to go that way , i needed to hold the steeringwheel firmly or even counter it just to keep the car going straight , never again , my skyline is still on standard wheels and will keep it that way (looks shite though i admit :D)

·
Registered
359 Posts
The wheels on my GTR when I bought it were the wrong offset and it drove like a pig! I put the standard wheels on and it completly transformed the handling, drives much better now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

What confuses me is what has currently has been said on offsets. Especially recommendations for et20 for a GTR etc..

·
Registered
42 Posts
offset

Ramrod
I have had R33GTRs and found that the best offset is +12 on 9.5J. If your near Yorks i have a spare set ot Volk TE37 17" +12 on 9.5J you would be welcome to come and try them on your car before you buy any.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats mighty kind, but unfortunatly

I'm a bit too far away
Car has no MOT
Car has no rear wheel studs, need extended ones
I've already got a set of wheels waiting to go on once I get the wheel studs

Thanks all the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ramrod
I have had R33GTRs and found that the best offset is +12 on 9.5J. If your near Yorks i have a spare set ot Volk TE37 17" +12 on 9.5J you would be welcome to come and try them on your car before you buy any.
according to the specs of the car I have bought, mine is:-

18x9.5 +30 offset, fronts have 3mm spacer so +27 offset

is this normal or safe?

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
+27 is perfectly normal, perhaps a bit low for the front, but then that depends on the width fof your wheels.

Lowering the offset means the wheels will stick out further from the arches, it should provide better handling because your increasing the track, however it put your camber out, which is easily sorted with a whiteline kit.

With regards to putting extra strain on the wheel bearings, i guess its possible, but unlikley unless your offset is well into the -0 figures ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
many thanks for your reply. i hear noises when pulling out of car parking spaces in reverse when turning the wheel, so maybe there is some rubbing on the arches or something. doesnt sound healthy anyway :(

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Take a wheel off and have a look; mine rubs the wheel arch liner slightly on full lock in reverse (18 x 9.5 wheels, +15 offset, 255 40 tyres, R33 GTR V-Spec). I'm not too bothered about it, and I'll be getting wider tyres when these are bald... :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help St. Augustine. I've now got RB's last 10 rear wheel studs.

Very helpful as well they are. :D

I'm off to try and fit a few right now..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lowering the offset means the wheels will stick out further from the arches, it should provide better handling because your increasing the track, however it put your camber out, which is easily sorted with a whiteline kit.
Wheel offset cannot affect the camber unless the top bushes are knackered then the extra strain with the wheel being further out will change it.... not a cause of the offset it's just knackered bushes.

The answer to the original question is that changing the original wheel offset changes the swivel axis, this is what messes with the steering geometry and causes tramlining and bump steer etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts