Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
R32 GTR
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Ok I got really fed up of waiting more than 14 weeks for the 17" Uras wheels I had ordered from Envy so I cancelled, anyway to cut a long story short I have ended up getting a set of 19s (they are forged otherwise I would never have bought 19s) and I'm pushed for time to have the car ready for shows.

They are 19 *9.5 offset +12

I dont really know too much about offsets and how I can work out if they will fit or not. I know they fit r34gtr but I'm not sure how much I will have to do to make them fit mine.

Also I read a couple of previous posts and some of you mentioned that 19s is asking for wheel bearings to go. Would this be same even if the wheels are forged?

I'm worried Ive made a rash decision..... please help me boys tell me its ok!?:notworthy

·
Registered
812 Posts
I missed the posts about 19s being bad for wheel bearings, but I'd imagine how the wheel is made wouldn't affect the strain it places on the bearings. That offset is quite low, you may need spacers, and then have to get the wheel arches flared. Don't panic til you've put the first wheel on, you might get away with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agree with above I think, +12 offset sounds a bit on the tight side, for 9.5's I would have thought between 18 to 22's.

Do you know what you had on before, because there is a superb offset calculator that shows you the difference between your current wheel offset/size and a proposed new offset/size, it's here ....

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You type in your current wheel size and offset, then your new size and offset, and it will then tell you the difference in terms of the rear of the rim to your suspension, and the front of your rim and the wheel arches.

Also if you know the current offset (say for example 20) and these are 12, it means that they will be 8mm closer to your brake calipers, so you can go and measure it up.

All this assumes you know the offset of your current wheels (usually stamped on the rear, a number followed by an "H", eg 22H = +22 offset)

hope this helps

·
Registered
497 Posts
Too big for wheel bearings? Mass and moment force will affect wheel bearing life, ie the heavier the wheel and the further it sticks out, the more force on the bearing and thus the shorter it's life.

But don't worry, it won't be THAT detremental like you will be going through wheel bearings every six months or something! You'll be fine ;)

19 x 9.5J ET12 will sit quite nice on a R32 GTR, no fouling problems provided you run the right size tyre. May need a slight roll of the lip, but I reckon it'll be fine without.

Personally I'd have gone for 18's and maybe 11J width, a nice low offset, and roll the arch lips. But then I'm cool. Dreaming though since I can't afford nice rims :(

Hope this helps.

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
i dont know if 9,5 wide rims with a 12 offset will rub the arches or not, hit the search or waitup till someone confirms , on a 33 it would fit no hassle afaik

19" is rather big so you need really thin profile tyres, making life harder for your wheel bearings and suspension

in contradiction with previous posts:
1. if you have a low offset you will NOT need spacers as these like make your offset even lower :D
2. if your offset was +20 and will be +12 your wheels will all be 8mm closer to the arches and not to the calipers !!

good luck and post up some pics when you have the wheels :)

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
19x9.5 +12, There not TE37's are they?

They should fit the GTR perfectly....assuming your car isnt slammed to the deck ;)

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
You will be fine.

I ran 18X9.5 +15mm offset and it fill the arch VERY nicely...

I think Alex also run the same number with is Do-Luck R32.

Get 255 tires if you can, give your arch a little more room.

He ran 255/35/18 on his Nismo Combo. Rolling the Arch will help also.

·
R32 GTR
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Te37s

I wanted to keep it a surprise but hey you guessed it... they are Te37s. i was thinking the 255/30 tyre would be the best. A 245 will fit but it will stretched therefore not alot of forgiveness in the tyre.

Will I need to roll the arches?

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
Nope, unless like i said your suspension is super low....

Nice wheels btw, good dish on the 19's :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
You will be fine.

I ran 18X9.5 +15mm offset and it fill the arch VERY nicely...

I think Alex also run the same number with is Do-Luck R32.

Get 255 tires if you can, give your arch a little more room.

He ran 255/35/18 on his Nismo Combo. Rolling the Arch will help also.
You talking about me? :D

I'm running 18x9.5 et14 LMGT1's with 255.35.18 tyres, with the car quite low on Zeal coilovers, the only scrubbing I ever had was on fast roundabouts, the front tyre would catch one of the arch liner securing clips, I just removed the offending clip on each side and tapped the mounting lug on the arch a little, not had any problems since.

Your's sticking out an extra 2mm may make a little difference but I'd imagine you'll just need a bit more trimming etc.

Other than the clips I mentioned, my arches are completely standard, so you always have the option of rolling slightly if there is a problem or you want to go really low.

Heres a couple to show how the wheels sit:

Alex B

·
R32 GTR
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
wow ok cool. The wheels arrived today so i just need to put tyres on and get them on and see what they are like. Alex you car is awesome and the wheels look like they are PERFECT.
looks like 255/30/19 is an awkward size to get and costs a LOT more than a 265/30/19, so i think i'll get those 2moro unless anyone tells me it really bad idea.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't laugh, but Farmers in Edinburgh may be able to, and get this, with my current set of Falkens they price matched Black Circles WEB price ....

·
Registered
812 Posts
in contradiction with previous posts:
1. if you have a low offset you will NOT need spacers as these like make your offset even lower :D
2. if your offset was +20 and will be +12 your wheels will all be 8mm closer to the arches and not to the calipers !!
No, depends how much the width of the wheel is increased. If you had 7.5s as standard when you go to put 9.5s on the offset will need to be completely different. Offset is relative to the width of the wheel, numbnuts!:crazy:

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
no no,
offset is not relative to the width of the wheel, offset is how many mm the flange is off from the middle of the rim .

about the ET+20 and ET+12 thing above, the difference will be 8mm (indeed on condition that the rim width is the same)

ideally when you replace 7.5" wide rims with 9.5's you should keep the offset but this will not clear the suspension, so people get rims with lower offset, then they risk rubbing the arches, so these may need to be rolled/flared ...

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think Andy meant the offset needed is relative to the width of the wheel, ie, with a 9.5" wheel I'm using et28, if I was to go for an 8.5" wheel, I'd need et15 to look right.

Alex B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts