Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i use 10w 40 for a few hundrd miles to flush all the crap oil out as it is disgusting.

after that i will put in 5w50 from oilman and change every 6 months

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
why not just pour in a tub of engine flush instead as u only need it in for about half an hour drain the oil and your away mate.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I dont like using engine flush on the basis that you cant always guarantee to get all the flush out and in that case could kill your new oil very quckly.

Also i never change my oil to a set date but depending on how many miles i've done and various track days etc

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
been using engine flush in 5 of my cars including my skyline and not a problem and dont expect one, however if you are not sure then u can use an oil fortifier that prevents acidic build up from the minute amounts of oil flush left in the engine. but as said its down to preferance and if u dont want to use engine flush then dont but i have had no problems with it. and i flush and do my oil and filter every 4 thousand miles. :cheers:

also not wanting to sound rude BUT if there was a chance that the flush would damage the new oil dont u think that forte whos flush i use would not sell there products worldwide? and our garage uses 90% of there products now i have worked there for 9 years and i never known of an engine that has been damaged by a flush but again its personal preferance if u use it.
bear in mind this company will have spent millions and millions of pounds on research and development so to say it will prbally kill the new oil is i would say far fetched, but each to there own anyway my longest post yet phew:eek: :dogpile:

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
it does exactley what it says in the tin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
use to use engine flush myslef but if its strong ebnough to remove carbon deposits then it shouldnt be left in your engine with the new oil, i would flush the engine with some castrol magnattec then pour the goodstuff in afterwords, magnetec is almost as cheap as the flush lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've been a machanic for 9 years and personally I dont like engine flush, I wouldn't take the risk just in case some got left in there. I would use some cheaper oil, run the car until it was hot and then drain it out leaving it for a while so it all comes out then change the filter and refill with some nice new oil. :yum: I've been doing this for years and when I come to change my oil its almost as clean as the day it went in!

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
so how would anyone recomend clearing the build up of sluge in my sump other than taking it off, i did any oil change last week and when i removed the sump plug it had about 3mm of thick black sluge stuck to the top of it, i change my oil every 4 month's approx 1500-1800 miles, ( so this must be as build up from over the years in jap land) i had a little poke with a bent piece of wire around the drain hole and it came out full of this sluge.
so any idea's would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
On many of my cars i've removed the sump and cleaned it out, which i believe is the best way to clean the crap out.

Many tuners i know and garages strongly dont recommend engine flush.

I know what your saying steve and i know Forte do some very very good products but in my eyes engine flush is a quick easy way for a garage to earn some easy pennies, plus engine flush wont cause an instant engine failure but it'll be something that will happen over time with the oil being ruined and broken down by the flush thats left around the engine.

Like i'm sure most of you know when you change your oil some gets left in there, its the same with the flush.

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
On many of my cars i've removed the sump and cleaned it out, which i believe is the best way to clean the crap out.

Many tuners i know and garages strongly dont recommend engine flush.

I know what your saying steve and i know Forte do some very very good products but in my eyes engine flush is a quick easy way for a garage to earn some easy pennies, plus engine flush wont cause an instant engine failure but it'll be something that will happen over time with the oil being ruined and broken down by the flush thats left around the engine.

Like i'm sure most of you know when you change your oil some gets left in there, its the same with the flush.
i understand what you mean by some garages using it just for some easy pennies and that some flush will be left in the oil ways same as old oil but my rover which has the k series engine, well documented of blown headgasgets and the like has done 60,000 miles in the 3 and a half years i have owned it with a flush oil and filter every 4-5000 miles and never had an engine problem in my care although i did do the headgasget just after i bought it. and my skyline as well has done just around 16,000 miles in the year and a half i have owned it with a flush oil and filter every 4,000 miles, but as said if you dont want to use it thats fine but i have yet to see or hear of an engine failure as a direct use of flush,some garages dont use it as they dont understand it and tell peaple not to use it even though they have no knowledge of the product. anyway its up to you the owner if you use it or not either way whatever works for you.:dogpile: :dogpile:

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Good call bud, upto the owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts