Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right im now going to be a pain as usual and bombard you all with more questions. And yes i have tried searching but there is so much info that i havent been able to to find specific answers to my questions.

First off the easy one. Oil

From reading other posts I gather that i need a fully synthetic 10-40 oil. Should extra considerations be given to the thickness of the oil i chose due to the high mileage on my car (110k miles)? And where do you all buy the oil from, ive not yet come across a silkolene stockist.

Next off, Induction.

As we are all aware the engine bay of the skyline gets rather warm and after a long/hard drive i only have to lift the bonnet and i can feel the warm air around the filter. I have considered converting to a long ram setup as theres an ideal gapping hole in my bumper to mount the filter behind, however im against this idea on two counts. One i'm worried about drowning it if the floods return and two, going by the state of my front bumper, it would become chocked with bugs in no time.

So im after some form of heat shield to help partition the filter from the rest of the engine bay. Im not really able to fabricate my own, so does anywhere do these for the skyline?

And finally, holding a steady speed.

I find i cant maintain a steady speed on the motorway. When i hold the accerator at a fixed point the ride becomes almost lumpy, yet its smooth on progressive acceration or deacceleration. So to maintain a smooth cruising speed i find i need to give a little throttle them ease off, on, off... Any suggestions glad appreciated.

Sorry its all a bit wordy but i thought it easier than 3 seperate posts.

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom
:worshippy:

·
Gloucestershire Area Rep
1,478 Posts
Induction:From what i remember u have an FMIC on the car,you should have left a hole where the old IC pipe was,if so u could duct a pipe or something from the front of the bumper up to the hope and u will get some cold air its an ideal place as the filter its nearly on top of the hole. hope this makes sens :cheers:

This is that i made on mine,i fitted a aluminium piece to the back of the filter i know its not a huge stop for the warm air but it helps a bit.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Induction:From what i remember u have an FMIC on the car,you should have left a hole where the old IC pipe was,if so u could duct a pipe or something from the front of the bumper up to the hope and u will get some cold air its an ideal place as the filter its nearly on top of the hole. hope this makes sens :cheers:
I know exactly what you mean and am planning to do this soon, as ive a bumper off job looming anyway to address a fitment issue with my intercooler pipes (blows the damned coupling off sometimes). Do want to try and case the filter a bit aswel though.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
bruce-m does a kit to shield off the filter from the engine bay.....oil you can get from one of our traders, opie oils do the best deals....the slight misfire could be fuelling so either do a ecu re-set or pop into a tuner and get him to have a quick look

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
You can get proper heat shields that go right around the filter. Not too sure where but I've seen pictures of them on here. There's a type that just goes around the filter which are discussed here: http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47563&highlight=Heat+shields

As for your oil get in touch with opie oils, they're in the trader's section on here. If you mail them they'll ask you your car's exact model, mods and the type of driving you'll do and recommend you an oil based on that. They stock loads of oils too. Sound bunch of lads they are.

As for your throttle control I have this problem in me transit. Try resting the side of your foot against something or try putting your foot on the accelerator at an angle and resting against the ground. Anything to hold it that extra bit steady.

Hope that helps.

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
I bought a heatsheild from Regals Motorsport on eBay a week or two ago. Same place linked in the thread Scotsman just linked to:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/REGALS-MOT...QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ2549645QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I've also got a Section Silk Road intake headlight coming from RHD:

And today I ordered a pair of 3" air filter adaptors, and a short length of 3" piping and some silicone couplers. I'm going to fit the adaptors to each end of the pipe with the couplers, bolt one end onto my AFM, and bolt the filter onto the other end. In theory, the filter should sit right in the direct path of the headlight and the heatshield will go over the top:

Should hopefully keep the filter airflow nice and cool.
Or more likely my idea is stupid and the filter will end up pointing in the wrong direction......:disappointed:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts