Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., just purchased the car and I wanted to give the car an oil change. Problem came about as I tried to put the drain plug back in. The threads on the oil pan are stripped and have been stripped. Does anyone know of a drain plug repair kit that I may be able to purchase instead of buying a new pan? I checked auto parts stores but they don't have any. I thought about rethreading it but then I don't want to have to worry about using a magnet to get the metal shavings out.
thanks,
mls

p.s.
the oil filter is so 'easy' to replace. ;) All the wires in front of the oil filter didn't help either.

E

·
0 Posts
You might be able to tap & fit a Helicoil the same size as the original hole thus not needing to find a new drain plug. I should think any decent supplier of all things screws & taps will have a Helicoil set.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
i'd tap it out to the next size up of easily available sump plug/washer (like from halfords).

I'd lie awake at night worrying about the swarf tho... why not take the sump off to do the job, it would be a cleaner + easier job then.

the oil filer is indeed a ***** :D i've tried all my oil filter removing devices; a chain wrench, a strap and a claw type thing and none of them make it easy , like many other skyline engine bay jobs you really need someone with thin arms and small hands to do the job for you; a child or a girlfriend would be ideal.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I actually took out some helicoil so apparently the person before me had already done this. I may take the sump off but I don't have anywhere to work on my car. I actually paid a hobby shop in Japan to use their lift. It was pretty cheap so I will probably do that again, only $3 for 30 minutes. At least I know that it was done right.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
sounds a little messy, if a bit of helicoil was in there already you'll find the hole will already be getting quite big, you would definately want to make sure you're not running out of the "nut" bit of sump that takes the plug.

if your in japan, can you get hold of a used/scrap sump, there must be a few arround. is it for you gts4?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AlexJ said:
if your in japan, can you get hold of a used/scrap sump, there must be a few arround. is it for you gts4?
Yes, it's for a gts4. The problem is that a lot of the junk yards know they can make more money exporting the goods so that's what they are doing instead of selling them in Japan locally. :( I have one of my Japanese friends checking around for me though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts