Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
erm,when will I be cool?
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been out for a run - the oil pressure on tick over facing slightly uphill is barely reaching the 2 on the dash gague. Opinions please - is this too low?

Also, on higher speed gearchanges, the occasional pop comes from the exhaust - is this okay too? Or is this a sign of the dreaded detonation I have heard about.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Mate,

I;m not the most technically knoweledgable peron on here by far (putting it mildly) but I can tell you that my 33 GTST sits on the '2' marker when properly warmed up at idle - rises up to the 4 at about 3k-3.5k revs.

The exhaust popping - I get this too at mid - high rev gear changes occasionally, and I think is caused by a combination of no cat and slight overfueling.
If I'm wrong then someone will be along soon to put you right.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
if you are lucky the pop will be a flame,perhaps you need an oil change,it should be just above the 2 mark at idle in ideal conditions afaik,facing up or downhill shouldnt make a difference

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
:iagree:

Pops and bangs = normal once you've opened the exhaust system up.

Oil pressure = As long as it rises to around 4 when your giving it some then it's fine.

·
erm,when will I be cool?
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it does go straight back up when driving - just sitting there tonight waiting for it all to cool a little before switching off I saw it at the 2 and it just seemed a little low to me.

Of course, I haven't actually checked the oil level :screwy: so that will be one thing to do of course.

Fully synthetic I was told on purchase - can that be synthetic from any maker, or do you all recommend a particular brand.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
a lot of use on here use Silkoleen ProS 5w40 - 10w50

look at the trade section for the oilman he will sort you out

·
erm,when will I be cool?
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine pops and bangs too. what it is is over fueling.nothing wrong with it as with a de cat you suck in more air and therefore you need more fuel. main thing is its not detonating.just make sure you use the best octane fuel you can and should be fine. all the local kids say ooo when it pops and flames so it can only be good as we all know how nasty kids can be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts