Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, my oil pressure is playing up and would like to know why its happening.

when cold my oil pressure is nearly 4kg/cm2 and when running warm it drops to the first bar which i think is 1? or 2? kg/cm2 on the guage the points look like this 0 | 4 | 8 and when its warm it sits on the first "|" and cold its nearly 4.

im pretty sure this is to low, and today (before i changed to ticker oil) it was half way between 0 and "|" i cant tell what figure it is but if u go to your r33 and have a look youll be able to see.

the question im asking is, is this bad? i mean, at its worst the oil pressure is near the 0 lol half way between the first line and 0, how can i fix this? does this mean that my car is a lemon? its got 140,000 kmz

whats your thoughts

cheers

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
if you are reading from the nissan gauge i would think the sender has gone,its very common and mine was doing the same as yours

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so say it is faulty, how can i be certain? is it even possible for oil pressure to fluctuate so much like mine does? if its not possible then yea its a faulty sender, but if it is possible then the oil pressure may be rooted? the needle move realy fast, i can actualy watch it move as i rev the engine and taking off, as soon as ive taken off its back to nearly 4

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
this sounds normal to me,on idle an rb25det should sit just below the first bar when hot 1kg/cm2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, are there any people who can confirm this? thst the oil pressure is fine? im anal because im trying to decide wether or not to keep the car.

also, is it normal to be halfway between 0 and the first bar on idle on a 34 degree celsius day? on a 45 degree celsius day is the cars pressure going to hit 0?

thanks heaps guys

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
On start up and cold running mine goes between 6-8 on the standard gauge. Warmed up it sits at 4 depending on use, it will either go up a little when driving fast-ish :) and just trundling about urban roads with no boost it sits at 2. Any hint of throttle and boost and it picks up to 4.......

CARSWAPS, i've read your link. Im using silkolene Pro S 5w 40 at the minute with the above results, and have done since i bought the car. Would you use a thicker oil now im running more power or stick with what im using at the minute? Say go for 10/40 Pro S or something...

Thanks Les

·
Administrator
25,983 Posts
standard oil pressure gauges are known to be crap mate but try this then on start up mine sits at 8 and once warm and driving it sits at 4 and only drops to 3 on idle.

·
R33 GTS25-T
597 Posts
As said, the gauge is wrong. They suck. The normal stock gauge, do not trust it.

However, mine is the same so don't worry. All of the gauges are **** to be honest lol. My speedo stops working when it snows... in the rain, it is fine, in the cold, it's fine, and when it is hot it is fine, but if it snows, it wont tell me how fast I am going. The tach, perfect, everything else, great. But no speedo and no mileage added. =P

Anyway, what I am getting to, in case you missed it, the gauge sucks. Have to get the aftermarket or a tester.

Here though, these are the true readings from the factory:

1kg/cm2 @ 600 RPM
3kg/cm2 @ 2000 RPM
4kg/cm2 @ 6000 RPM

---

Oil is thicker at cold start, expect a higher reading.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Mine has done the same for the last few years I've had it don't worry sounds normal.

and my supra well you would think looking at the clocks it has no oil pressure on tick over at all. Anyone that has had a mkIII will no what I mean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heres what mine is on idle at its lowest, but is funny, theres like 2 different settings my guage does, sometimes idle is 2kg, and running is nearly 4kg, then any other time idle is around 1kg and running is 2kg'

heres a pic to make sure 1kg is the position its at in this pic

Attachments

·
Scotland Area Rep Aberdeenshire
3,249 Posts
standard oil pressure gauges are known to be crap mate but try this then on start up mine sits at 8 and once warm and driving it sits at 4 and only drops to 3 on idle.
mines the same

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mines the same aswell, On start it reads 8, Then driving it, it drops right down to about 1, Then it goes up to 4+ hot and then it nosedives down to just above zero on idle, I'm getting me a new oil pressure sender and an oil and filter change then i'll take it from there !

·
Registered
1 Posts
heres what mine is on idle at its lowest, but is funny, theres like 2 different settings my guage does, sometimes idle is 2kg, and running is nearly 4kg, then any other time idle is around 1kg and running is 2kg'

heres a pic to make sure 1kg is the position its at in this pic
hey mate, was wondering what the outcome of this was? i'm having exactly same situation with mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.