Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been keeping an eye on my oil pressure and its being a bit weird.

Sometimes at idle (when warm) it sits at 2 - which I have learnt is ok. Then when driving usually hovers around 4 which again is ok.

Sometimes though, it idles at around 1 and when driving hovers around 3 maybe a tad more when driving a bit quicker.

I know that the oil pressure gauges are a bit hit and miss, but will they show symptoms like this or is my oil pump being tempramental?

When the oil pump goes, is it a sudden thing or gradual?

Cheers ears

Lee

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
My money is on the sender, believe me you would know if your oil pump had packed up.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oil pumps can go any time and when they do you dont have very long before you have no oil pressure and a knackered engine , my advice to you is go and get yourself an after market gauge and sandwich plate then you can compare the stock gauge to actual pressure on the new gauge

its been happening for a good few days now.. sometimes normal pressure sometimes erratic...

My understanding of oil pumps is that when they dont die slowly - they just die. Is that correct?

Is still drives smoothly, pulls strong and no weird noises or smoke... just a strange oil pressure reading.

To be honest it could have been doing it for longer - but now I am more aware of it I am checking more often.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
99% faulty reading , mine some times goes to 0 oil pressure then up to 2 then 4 then back to one so my gauge or sender is faulty cause it aint started rattling yet lol, i have just put a sandwich plate on so just need a gauge, plus an after market one is a lot cheaper than a standerd on and sendors are about £90

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers fella - just need to figure out which gauge i want to run now!

Do you have a link to where I can get an appropriate sandwich plate from.. .needs to have two takeoffs for oil press and oil temp ideally :)

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts