Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 R33 gts-t I have noticed the oil pressure gauge is reading just above 4 while i am driving but drops when the car is at idle. There is also a strange noise from the engine. (they may not be connected I hope)

I fear this may be the oil pump on its way out. Does anyone have any views.

If it is the oil pump where do I get one and how much.

I haven't looked in the manual yet but I assume the oil pump is in the sump, so can the sump be taken off without stripping much else off.

Any advise please

Cheers

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
It's normal for the pressure to drop at idle when the oil's warmed up.

Plenty of oil pressure threads if you search:

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3278759

Standard sensor can get old and give duff readings, but oil pressure issues are always worth checking as it's easy to damage the engine...

I think sump needs to be removed to access oil pump, and it's a pain to do without removing the engine (I think).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Gauge has been ok since I got the car and has only done this over the last couple of days.

Its hard to say where the noise is coming from, possibly the front but I can't make out if it is top or bottom, and is like a rattle or buzz.

The oil is a 5-30 fully synthetic changed last week and the cam belt was done about 15-20k ago.

·
Registered
145 Posts
your using the wrong oil mate... speak to oilman go for something like Fuchs Silkolene pro 10w/50.
Change the oil before you do anymore damage.

p.s. don't drive the car until you change the oil is my advice.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
your using the wrong oil mate... speak to oilman go for something like Fuchs Silkolene pro 10w/50.
Change the oil before you do anymore damage.

p.s. don't drive the car until you change the oil is my advice.

Nissan recommends 7.5W30 for the RB25DET, why do you say 5W30 is not good? I agree with the oil and oil filter change though.

If you don't have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge then you need one, the standard one is 15 years old and unreliable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for all the help, spoke to opie oils and they seem to agree it is the oil, so have ordered the right stuff. luckily i have only driven 20 miles or so. all my fingers and toes are crossed hoping there is no damage done.

I willl keep you posted to the outcome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nissan recommends 7.5W30 for the RB25DET, why do you say 5W30 is not good? I agree with the oil and oil filter change though.

If you don't have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge then you need one, the standard one is 15 years old and unreliable.
that sort of oil rating would be fine if you drove the car straight out a showroom, with a new engine and all...

Like you said "15 years old"... so treat the engine to some good stuff will ya for crying out loud! :crazy:

Plus I think my lawnmower runs on 5w30 nowadays lol.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
they say 7.5/30 for a new engine

5/30 is too thin for a old engine really.

you will need a 10/50 or even 15/50 so you have good oil pressure and it wont break down under high temp

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
they say 7.5/30 for a new engine

5/30 is too thin for a old engine really.

you will need a 10/50 or even 15/50 so you have good oil pressure and it wont break down under high temp
I got told 5w-40 for an rb26, 45k, standard, driven daily is this right?

·
Registered
329 Posts
its more than likely the oil pressure sensor, does it read very low and the oil light come on when its on idle?
i had a similar problem ages ago and i thought i'd blown the engine or oil pump, the oil pressure sensor is basically a ball and spring inside i think, when i took mine off to check i could hear it rattling inside, its the yellow block connector sensor next to the oil filter,
have a look at that first, i got the same response when it happened to me, everyone saying wrong oil or your oil pump, they all jump on the same band wagon.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New oil and filter arrived from Opie oils, however the noise is still there.
I have read other threads regarding the oil pressure gauge so I have bought a retro fit one and will hopefully this will be on tomorrow.
As for the noise i am going to remove all the ancillary belts and listen again in case it is the alternator, power steering etc.
It was strange they both happened together.

Many thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
You may need to drive a few miles on the new oil. I had a knocking sound coming from my old car once and had a fresh oil and filter change but the noise was still there. After about 50 - 75 miles it all went away and never to be heard again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.