Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep reading about this oil pump collar and i wonder what everyone means about them failing. i just recently rebuilt my rb25det and i used a new oem oil pump. i have been told that the pumps fail because of a collar problem. not really sure what everyone means. any info would help. thanks.

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
what collar bud, the only reason i can see it failing is if the oil feed pick-up came loose and and therefore the oil pump couldnt pick any oil up....so it would sieze, thats my thoughts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess the people that are telling me that are talking about the one on the r32 gtr. by the way. what type of oil should i be using. i have 10w-30 mobil 1 synthetic right now but i think that is to thin.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i have silkolene 10-50 in mine and get really good oil pressure compared to the last poo oil i had in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only thing i have seen here is 15w50 mobil 1 synthetic so i am probably going to go with that. i guess the 10w30 is too thin for that motor. sorry, this is my first skyline. i am used to messing with hondas.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Collar?

Yes R32 GTR cranks had a thin drive flat to drive the oil pump. These flats were extended for the R33 and later models (GTR only).

Bad news is all the RB25 engines still use the thin flats. You can buy a JUN oil collar to convert it to the larger flats, which have more surface area to drive the oil pump, and therefore doesn't eat into it and cause failure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sad part is that the motor is already in the car and that would not be very easy for me to just change out. as it is how much power do you think the motor can take and what should be the max rpm. and by the way, is the collar on the crank or are you talking about the pump itself. like i said in another post, i usually deal with high revving hondas and oil pump failure is usually never an issue with those. by the way, how many miles or kilometers does it usually take to wear down? when i put the motor in the collar looked fine to me. wasnt rounded off or anything like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts