Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after searching though a fair few posts, I ended up having more questions than answers!

I'm rebuilding my RB25DET and wondering if I need to replace the oil pump or is it a matter of replacing a part in it? What is it that actually fails?

During my search I found a lot of talk on getting a larger collar fitted :-/ is this something every engine could do with?

Cheers

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
IMO I would just replace the whole unit. N1 pumps are Uprated versions if needed and pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
9,036 Posts
Yes its always a good idea to fit a new oil pump if doing a rebuild.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have a look at your oil pump drive on the crank and that will answer your questions for you, if the 2 flats on the drive have any signs of wear or signs of it trying to round off the edges that is the early sign of soon to be catastrophic failure of the oil pump, if all is ok check the oil pump itself for excess play and signs of damage same as on the crank, for all an oil pump costs its good to replace it, but if you drive the car hard and high revs alot defo look into fitting a crank collar

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
During my search I found a lot of talk on getting a larger collar fitted :-/ is this something every engine could do with?

Cheers
All RB20 & RB25 cranks as well as pre '93 RB26 use a 'short nose' crank. Its a schoolboy error by the Nissan designers. The crank nose that drives the oil pump doesn't engage fully into the oil pump drive gear. Only 30% or so makes contact, and this occasionally gives rise to wear issues.... Its not a bad idea to use a collar which goes all the way through the oil pump drive gear.

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
Or get yourself a long crank too. But they are hard to find and pricey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts