Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oddest of problems with my car......
So odd please don't add to this thread unless you really know about engines, sorry, but saves time in the long run.
Whilst 'mapping' my car last Friday (after I had fitted the successfully re-built gearbox) I had a problem...
The car was flying @1.4 bar boost, 2nd set of injectors running perfect, ignition timing all good, cruising at 150 making minor adjustments....and I went a bit too lean, I saw the knock and afr but there was a 'POP' like an intercooler pipe 'blowing off'.....anyway limped home, changed no.6 sparkplug (electrode burnt 1/2 away) and was running fine-ish, and this is where it gets odd...
It now will only run low boost no matter what I do, the actuator preasure on my HKS2530 is about 10 PSI, but the most boost I can get is about 2-3 PSI no matter what I do.......and it runs rich.
I thought I'd lost the turbine wheel so stripped all the pipework off of the car today, the turbo is mint, no damage anywhere, and checked all intercooler piping and that is fine too....
I can adjust the mapping to reduce fuel and it runs perfectly, but at about 200bhp, revs cleanly no problem, except that's a long way down....
I am lost, is it possible the exhaust cam slipped? I have just fitted a new belt and idler and tensioner kit, and it is not the first time I have built an engine....I can't see it being a cam slip.....
is it possible the GTR intercooler core has collapsed at that boost level?
Anyway ideas please, but good ones (-:
thanks,
Andy.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
its possible a belt could jump but you would see that at TDC on the marks eh

to me it sounds like a boost leak (or even intake restriction via intercooler if they are known for this?)...they can be a ***** to pin down, i often remove the filters and place my hand over the intake...if there is a leak the car will still run and you will hear the leak...if not it will conk out, this only highlights big leaks and that sounds like what you have (with the pop noise at high boost)

got to be worth checking the actuator with a foot pump too

·
Registered
828 Posts
Have you tried running it without the actuator pipe connected anywhere to see if that brings up the boost to 10psi?If it runs the 10 psi i would expect the problem to be before the turbo but if it doesnt i would suspect the turbo/actuator side of things.

Does the boost gauge show anything abnormal compared to how it was before the problem (off boost obviously)

If its running rich then it does sound like an air intake problem but then its mapped for running with the boost which it hasnt got so its going to.

I would do as youve done and check all the intercooler side of things and maybe the plenum etc to make sure you havent got no leaks/splits etc.Guess the intercooler hasnt split or something but i cant see that happening if its run lean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts