Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after getting my renewal reminder from Tett Hamilton who for this year were asking a fcuking ridiculous £2498.64 :eek: I've been on the phone getting some quotes.

I've decided to go the 'mods declared' route for my own peace of mind and this is what I've had so far:-

Adrian Flux Still waiting for response

A-Plan £1517 all in with protected NCD £500 excess

Basildon Still waiting response

Keith Michaels £1300 for a STANDARD car!

Liverpool Victoria £966.11 with protected NCD

Now trouble is, having read everyones posts about Liv Vic saying that they're cool with all mods as long as the 'engine' isn't modified, after reading off the list of mods on my car to the woman this morning she says "yeah thats all fine as long as the power isn't increased"......err, were you not listening to that list of mods I just gave you?
Anyone know the real stand point of these guys? Suppose I'd better give them a call back and find out for sure.

Cheers,
A most confused gentleman

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Mark, they told me that they were OK with changes as long as the engine capacity was not changed - albeit that was a few months back now.

I would call back and speak to someone else as I found real variation in their standpoints according to who I spoke to but managed to get the statement made added to my policy notes and copied in on it.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
i find these policies change so often its unbelievable.

Hmm were not hitting insurance targets this month how can we screw more money out of people.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I gave them another call and it's a good job I did.
Quoted a figure of 300bhp as standard and 500bhp in its current form (close enough I guess)....there response was "sorry sir but due to the horsepower being increased so much we're unable to quote you".
So be careful boys and girls.

The search continues!

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
ridiculous. what do you do if you get a bmw m5 in 450 for gods sake as STD, sorry sir your car is RWD and standard. Cant quote you, I stand by my personal view the insurance arena in the uk is uncapped , unwarranted and completely biased towards each individual company. Grrrr.

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Strange...

I'm with LV, with everything declared. No problem. From my call, they have a series of checks for the form. Engine/carburettor mods, wheel mods, body mods, interior mods and a couple of others. I have all except interior and my renewal at the beginning of the month was £851 inc IPT fully comp with 72.5% protected NCD & £350/£250 excesses. But I have been with them for four years, so possibly an advantage over new quotes.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Mark - I had about 5 different attempts to get them to insure my car on its chassis number for resitration and after numerous refusals spoke to a manager who authorised it - maybe worth asking for a manager as the price difference was so great.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
May try to do that tomorrow Nick.

What got me today was the guys finishing statement after he told me that his adviser had said no....."sorry about that sir. Good luck insuring it though as it sounds a lovely car"...... err, thanks for that! :(

Stupid thing is, I could have just run down the list of mods but not quoted a power figure and I think they'd have been fine with it. Should have kept my bloody mouth shut :rolleyes: :(

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Mark,
Try giving osborne's a call as well, they were ok for me, better than adrian flux, tett hamilton, direct line and a few others. I also got a competitive quote from 'insurance factory'.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah well, can't be @rsed to search any lomger :(

Called LV and spoke to a manager, and nice and apologetic as he was they just weren't prepared to wear the 500bhp thing. Good quote if your car isn't too heavily modded though.

Called Tett Hamilton to see what they could do with their astronomical quote......£2200 was the lowest they'd go :rolleyes:

So eventually ended up going with Osbourn and Sons..... dealt with the manager there who was dead helpful. Couldn't get it below £1500 but at least it's insured again now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just to let you know guys i work in insurance claims for many insurance partners
If you don't declare your mods and have an accident, they will ask you for a list of the modifications and why you didn't disclose them.
They usually will send that letter to underwriting to see if they will cover you or just ask you to pay an additional premium.
I don't know what the boundaries are but I've had a couple of calls where cover has been in debate and whether we would pay out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
None taken hun.

I'm sure they do, because insurance companies are presumtious.

They aren't allowed to discriminate drivers on health with their insurance but if you are under 25 and pretty much anyone with modications they'll screw you! Sounds like Ageism to me.

Maybe one day (when its too late for us no doubt), they will come up with a better way of rating drivers and vehicles.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I used to work for the same insurance company as my beloved above and I agree with all of you. Insurance is a big rip off and if you don't declare mods you run the risk of not being paid out in an accident, write off or theft. One saving grace for most of us though is that with imports they rarely know the full spec of the car anyway so if you've only got a couple of mods on the car like air filters, wheels and a spoiler or bumper etc then you'll probably get away with it. If you've got flip paint, Veilside bodykit, T78 Turbo and every engine mod you can think of with a massive stereo you've probably had it if you haven't declared them. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts