Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, you removed the mesh's from your AFM's and I have a couple of questions on that mod if you could answer them for me.

Firstly did it make any obvious difference regardless how subtle?

Two, I would expect the mesh preceding the sensor to have an effect on airflow in a way not normally considered. I would expect the airflow in such a system to be quite volatile, with tendencies to channel, in effect creating discrepencies in pressure across the bore diameter of the AFM. The mesh would then reduce this effect, therebye assisting in creating a more even spread across the face of the airflow. If there is sufficient airflow oressure for this effect to take place then I'd expect the benefit of that to be lost with the meshes removed, any comments?

Aitch

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
id be worrird about sucking a stone in a buggering the afm filament...

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
id be worrird about sucking a stone in a buggering the afm filament...

Shouldn't happen if you've got a induction kit or pannel filter fitted.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
My view on this:

The wire that makes the mesh on the AFM is too thin to have any discernible affect on the airflow, in order to guarantee a steady stream of air through the AFM you would need to have it at least a couple of mm thick. If anything, the mesh disrupts an otherwise smooth flow of air. But you could also say that by the time the air has flowed through a foam filter that it has been disrupted already, you could restore a sense or order to the airflow by the fitment of fins to the inside edge of the meter.

Here is the basic idea (apologies for the alarmingly crude MS Paint diagram):

Or I could be way off, who knows?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Precisely Andy42uk, I've seen a few over the years with a variety of honeycomb type or similar bits preceding the sensor. As an ex engineer I know there's a reason for it, I also know roughly what the reason is though not the terminology, air dynamics books use very big words!

I just wondered if the difference was perceptible at this level, as it seems contra to motor manufacturing to spend money on something which is not really contributing. I know the mesh grills are not exactly a honeycomb, but a similar though reduced effect can be expected from them.

I think I will just remove the one after the sensor just in case.

There's really no need for them from a mechanical filter aspect as the airbox / pod etc is there to do that job.

Aitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts