Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took up insurance with A-plan yesterday which is great, nice one! However my Skyline has been sorned for 10 months. Come to tax the car online and they say it's not insured on their database. Rang A-plan and they say, yes that is true it can take 2 weeks to be registered. Modern technology ay?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
2 weeks? That's bollocks.

I insured my skyline the day I bought it and got tugged that evening as the database hadn't updated. The copper said it updates daily and gave me a producer and I produced a few days later.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same thing on Thursday getting Tax for my girlfriend's new Celica.

Make sure you have a printout of the insurance, the V5, and you are ok, apparently MOTs they now check electronically from the V5, so you don't need to have that. Frustrating as I spent 2 more days with the car off the road (and her diving the Skyline) until the MOT certificate came through the post!

·
Registered
662 Posts
2 weeks is a load of crap. If you go
www.askmid.com or .co.uk put your reg in it will show if the car is insured yet or not.

By law now insurance companies have to update there system to askmid every 24hours I think.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had the same thing on Thursday getting Tax for my girlfriend's new Celica.

Make sure you have a printout of the insurance, the V5, and you are ok, apparently MOTs they now check electronically from the V5, so you don't need to have that. Frustrating as I spent 2 more days with the car off the road (and her diving the Skyline) until the MOT certificate came through the post!
Dude in future just pop down to your local MOT station and it's £10 I think and they will print out a MOT certificate for ya

·
Registered
83 Posts
They may be required to, but I think there are systems that then do a periodic 'pull' of the data from the insurance system.

... Basically I bought my sister's old fiesta a few years ago, insured it, and the next day drove down to London (moving there), I was stopped by the police who thought I was driving uninsured (it didn't help it was a rusty heap, at 3am!). A bit of explaining from me thankfully wearing a shirt and being polite, and they were fine (even though their system wasn't updated). Not something I enjoyed though, and definitely didn't want to be told to go to the station within the next two weeks to produce my documents!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts