Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I've got a 94 33 GTS-T . .

I stripped down the drivers side door because the electric window has decided to stop working. :disappointed:. We did a continuity check with a multi meter on the switch itself, and that itslef, was working fine. I need to however check the relay(This may indeed be the problem because there is a burning smell at the points), the black box bolted on beneath the door handle and the motor. .

2 questions at this point . .
(1) Obvious thing is relay burnt out. But to double check do i have to open the relay somehow ? Id so, How ?

(2) how on earth do I get the motor out from behind the door skin ?

Any tips on this matter wil be much appreciated chaps. The window is slightly open at the moment, and I've got it taped up with plasric bin bag !!!:eek:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
hi mate, you need to take the glass and everything off the track I deally a two person job as one can hold the glass steady.....its a while since i did this but if you unbolt the window glass and unbolt the whole track from the door then it will compress (like it does when the window is down) and you can take it out in a vertiacl position from the rear of the door where the access is a bit wider and the motor (pointing down at the ground) will fit through. (i took the window brushes off the door to give abit more room too....

just bwe carefull undoing stuff cos if ya let go with you hand inthe door itll drop on your arm ....(ow!)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
mine stopped working too get a long screwdriver take off the speaker mounting put screwdriver through that big hole and hammer the screwdriver on the motor should be able to free up the jammed motor for u to shut window and get on a few days.when you ready get another motor,read the sticky on here and follow,i have a spare relay working good cuz i reconditioned it! if u want it pm me:)

·
dawnseeker
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys thanks a mill for those tips !
hey Hesh I did take the brushes off but didnt go further than that. Never thpought to actually take the actual tracks out though. Cool . . I'll have to try this on the weekend and let you know how it goes. Chormelvin, once I've diagnosed the problem, I'll give you a shout for that relay. Thanks for the tip on freeing up the motor tho. . . hate electrics !!!!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
thats cool hope you got to shut your window in the end:) a second hand window motor shouldnt be more than 50/60 quid mark i think the 200sx one fits too if someone can claify this you will get one for 40quids from a breakers as the wont know to add the skyline tax:)

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
mine i thought had a buggered motor but it was the mechanism that had seized....so dont go bashing ther motor till you know you need a new one .. plenty wd 40 and penetrating oil might free it ....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Guys - I've got a 94 33 GTS-T . .

I stripped down the drivers side door because the electric window has decided to stop working. :disappointed:. We did a continuity check with a multi meter on the switch itself, and that itslef, was working fine. I need to however check the relay(This may indeed be the problem because there is a burning smell at the points), the black box bolted on beneath the door handle and the motor. .

2 questions at this point . .
(1) Obvious thing is relay burnt out. But to double check do i have to open the relay somehow ? Id so, How ?

(2) how on earth do I get the motor out from behind the door skin ?

Any tips on this matter wil be much appreciated chaps. The window is slightly open at the moment, and I've got it taped up with plasric bin bag !!!:eek:

If your window mech is buggered and you have no control of the window itself, undo the bolts that hold the mech onto the door skin and the whole motor and glass will come down to the bottom of the door. There you will get access to the nuts that connect the mech to the glass. Once undone, lift glass up to free the mech and you can pull the mech through the large aperture.

BTW to test the motor itself, get a 12v battery and basically get a live and earth direct to the window mech. You'll find that you can unplug the wiring and just connect the live and earth to the 2 wires that go to the motor. Doesnt matter which way round you have the Live/earth..one way will send glass up and swap the polarity to send it back down... Obviously will only work if your window mech is fully functioning.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
732 Posts
mine went too, started grunging abit, sprayed it with WD and not long it grunged even more then the motor started jumping off the teeth, window jammed at first, now it goes up and down but wont go past certain bits without slipping off again ( requiring a helping hand to lift it ) and making a hell of a noise with it.

Deffinatly two peeps though is good if you can manage to get the motor/mechanism out, nips the old fingers at times as well as your arm. BUT its (for me anyway ) harder getting back in again trying to get the rollers back into the tracks. All the best !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts