Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I had suspected my car had a over heating issue for some time although it wasnt going into the red, but it did read a little high. Gotta say most of the garages I sent it to too have it looked at said there was no problem with it. Strange as the lower rad pipe was always stone cold and never pressurized and there appeared to be no flow across the rad even after a thermostate change flush and then a water pump change.

So i thought useless ****y garages ill sort this it out my self.

I bought myself a new alloy rad and thermostate and took it apon myself to do the work.

Well I fixed it myself, first time. Must have had the one in 10 000 thermostate that didnt work. So easy to do as well. The hardest thing was putting the 3rd bold back in on the thermostate housing. Damn thing took about 30mins, if it wasnt for that i would have had it striped, replaced and back on the road in about an hour. Oh and i never spilt a drop of coolent either result.

·
South West (England 13)
1,855 Posts
Wish I had the courage to do mine mate

I have a nice shiny alloy rad sitting looking at me and a new Nismo thermostat in the garage and I just know if I touch it we'll have to call Green Flag just to get it out of the garage!

I wish I knew more about these things and had a bit of confidence to try it

Not a clue sadly

Well done on fixing yours though - has it cured the problem?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh yeah deffo fixed the problem. Thanks mate

Shame your not closer i would have done it for you so easy to do ill do a step by step guide if you like

The rad is piss easy to do if i can do it anyone can trust me

Your need A container to go under the car to catch the coolent get a large shallow plastic storage container from Sainsberrys or Homebase or even IKEA there about 6 7 quid

Trolly Jack to jack the car up ever so slightly incase the large shallow plastic storage container dose not fit under the car like mine didnt.

10 inch extention bar for thermostate and rachet set

Gasket sealent

Adjustable spanner

Get under the front of the car and remove the firsts 3 bolts (10mm socket dont use a screw driver) that holds the plastic belly pan on. This should give you enough to pull it back to give you access to the bottom rad hose clip also 10mm

undo it enough so you can slide the pipe off from the top!!! once youve positioned the container under the car slide it off bewere of the coolent that will flow

Do the same for the top pipe

Then on the left hand side in you should see a green coloured sensor unclip this

Now undo the 2 number 10mm bolts that secure the clips in place, that holds the rad in to place. You carnt miss these if you do your blind.

You should find that after makeing sure theres no coolent left init or anyn thing attached to it the rad should lift up and out. the fan may get cought on the cowling but with the right angle it should come out. I have an extra fin on mine and it looked pritty tight but it dose come out

Your notice that the old rad has the sensor screwed in to the bottom use the adjustables to remove it and fit it on your new rad

Remove rubber bumb stops also and place them on new rad i left the cowling off of the new rad never bother putting it back on and to be honest it was easy to fit it back with out it

Refit rad

Then do the thermostate

as found here

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102813

1 - 6 of 6 Posts