Skyline Owners Forum banner

Painting grille.

663 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  R34Barbie 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Did the 1st mod to the gt today.
Removed grille, give it a quick rub down and sprayed it with Matt black plasti dip. 10 minutes later and the paint started to bubble. So waited for it to dry and rubbed it back and repainted and again it bubbled.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

#2 ·
Probably been polished with a silicone based polish, very hard to shift it, try paint thinners, and re sand.

#3 ·
As above-mentioned give it a really good clean with a wax n grease remover, lightly scuff with sand paper but not necessary, first layer of plasti dip should be very feathered and thin n spotty,then dried to let the next layers stick to it. I play with plasti dip a bit..Hope that helps...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Well I have rubbed all the plasti dip off with sand paper, cleaned with white spirit then I good wipe over with pant preparation wipes and then sprayed with ethe primer and it bubbles straight away.

What a waste of time and now have a grille which looks a mess.

#5 ·
White spirit is not a good one to use, as its designed to work with oil based paints, you need cellulose or 2K thinners, also are you spraying it outside? as low temps will also compromise the drying etc.

#7 ·
Why not just remove all the plastidip, re prep and spray with something like Simonize satin or mat black?

Reactions: SMURF.
#8 ·
If weather is really cold ya may need to pop the can of plasti dip in a bucket of warm water and shake tha crap outta it...make sure there is no greasy residue before you paint...a lil bit of time and effort goes along way...plasti dip can be a pain if your looking for perfection. Don't give up..

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.