Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I've been out of the loop for a while but I bought a Dell about a year and a half ago but I think it's time to upgrade some bits. It runs Fallout 3 flawlessly but I need more power so I can play GTA4 at a decent resolution :)

This is my spec (the important bits anyway):

AMD LIVE X2 Processor 5600 (2.8GHz, 89W)
Memory Dual Channel 2GB (2x1024MB)
Hard Drive 320GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm)
Video Card 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600GT

I was thinking graphics card and another 2GB of memory but what is a good card to get nowadays?? I'm pretty sure the processor is OK for the mo.

I appreciate your help

Vin

·
Registered
814 Posts
hey hey
depends on how much you wanna spend ?

Are you for green or for red ? (Nvidia vs ATI)

Personally I am Nvidia biased, and have had an ATI4870, which i then promptly swapped for a Nvidia 9800GX2.

I would suggest something along the lines of a 9800GTX+ or maybe even more powerful GTX 260 (get the core 216 version - has revised GPU and more shader pipes).

Nvidia has also just released the new GTS ranges - and they also perform well - again tho it depends on what you are looking at doing.

What size display have you got and what res are you running windows for example?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey

I've always been an nVidia man. I just want to be able to run the newer games that are coming out at a decent resolution. Like I say ,my nachine ran Fallout 3 no problems but with GTA4 it won't let me go above 800x600 and it looks rubbish!

I have a 19 inch monitor, not widescreen and I run Windows at 1152x864.

Are we still talking AGP slots for graphics cards?

Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure the mother board will be OK it's just the last time I built my own machine it was all AGP for the graphics cards.

Just been looking on the web and the 9800 GT or GTX looks good. Bit of a pisser though as my 8600GT is still going for £40 odd quid. Anyone want to buy it off me?

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
GTA4 on the PC is a power hog,

CPU wise I would look at an Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad or above, GTA4 runs best with a quad core CPU as per custom PC's guide.

GFX card, I have a 9800GT with 1gb DDR on it and it runs it ok but it could be better, if you have the cash I would jump for a ATI HD4870x2 or a Nvidia GTX295, but either of these cards will hit ya near the £400 mark, where as the 9 series Nvidias are in the £100-£180 bracket (mine was £116 a month ago from Scan)

also wanna get 3gb of DDr2 or 4gb if your running a 64 bit os (4gb+ with 64bit really!)

and a good motherboard to plug this into, either the Biostar T-Power HP45 (been getting some great reviews lately!)

Or my personal fav the Asus P5Q Deluxe (this is what I have along with the bits above)

hopefully that is of some use as an upgrade path, it does cost a bit mind, but then GTA4 is a very demanding game, it has been said that the PC version is the best but requires a beast to run it well!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
814 Posts
as Dazzler said - but...bearing in mind the GTX295 needs a LOT of power - as does the 4870X2 - 500W PSU is a absolute minimum, and you need TWO pci-e connectors (6 pin or 8 pin - not sure now ) on the card.

hence me mentioning the 9800GTX+ they are nice cards for the price and perform wel when Oc'd a bit (who leaves things in standard clocks anyhow???? )

:p

My rig here is:
XFX 780i Mobo
E8400 CPU @ 3.6
Trancend AxeRam @ 1066 (5-5-5-15) 4GB
2x 8800GT @ 700/990/1748

And I am able to run pretty much anything at 1920x1200 (Samsung T260 Display) with at least 60 FPS .
:)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think I'm going to go for the 9800GTX and 4GB of RAM and see what happens. Looking at about £200 which I can afford. £400 for a graphics card is just silly.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Nice Rig, and yea prob should have mentioned the power bit, I run a 1000w BFG in mine and in me second rig is a 750w Silverline.

often thought of heading down the SLI or Crossfire route, did you notice a major difference to one card?

oh and for the PC off!

Cpu: Q6600 Core 2 Quad (3.6Ghz OC Watercooled)
Ram: 4gb OCZ Reaper 1066
GPU: 9800GT 1GB (Not oc'd yet!)
MB: Asus P5Q Deluxe
7 Hdd's and some other bits!

It does run the games quite nicly, (BF2142, GTA4) but then my Fav game is EVE online and that dont require mutch to run, but is an awesome game.... it is stealing my life!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
814 Posts
lol @ PC-off.. .:p

Well ... running my two cards (i am mainly into FPSs like COD 4 and 5, etc.) I get (with all details maxed and AF turned ALL THE WAY UP, a constant 89-91 fps.

With a single card it struggles to hit past 40 at the res I am running everything (1920x1200) .

as for HDDs i got 3 x 320s and one 80 internal as well as 1 200 and another 250 ext.
is enough for my needs.

I initially never bothered about sli vs single, but - when i did it eventually, I was glad i did... i hit 16600-odd marks in 3d06 at 1680x1050 ... so i am happy :)
The Bios OC on the cards obviously helps a lot as well - according to tomshardware benchies, my set of (dated) 8800GTs perform better than a GTX285 ... so i really am not complaining. :)

As for power - i got a OCZ 900W ModXtreem modular.

we are such nerds.... drive playstation cars and talk about PC's !! LOL
:p

·
On the other side of the world in a 5.4ltr V8!
1,191 Posts
can I play! lol

Cpu: E6850 Core 2 duo - Conroe (Oc'd to 3.7Ghz on stock air cooling!)
Ram: 2gb OCZ flex 9200 (oc'd slightly)
GPU: Nvidia 8500GT (oc'd slightly. Ran out of money! lol )
MB: Asus P5Kc
4 Hdd's totaling 1Tb
Psu: 750w

Run most games fairly well (usually get at least 60fps on most games that I play, altho crysis did push it a little! :p) but I know the Gfx needs upgrading. want to go water cooled and push the Cpu to 4Ghz+

Its about a year old now so I'm happy with the performance for what I do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts