Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

im just wondering what people do in the car industry, obviously the one that springs to mind is mechanic. however im not qualified.
so wondering what epopel have managed to set up themselves. i really want to get into somat to do with cars, my passion. i would love to be working at a tuners, working in parts or fitting. but prob parts as im not qualified to mechanic nor the best mechanic. just wondering what peopel do and what provides an income. or something i could maybe train in.

my main thing for changing as well is the cut of my salery, which may mean the skyline would have to go :shakehead:

anyway thoughts appreciated.

·
R32 GTR
1,562 Posts
I work in the motor trade.

Try and get an apprenticeship with a manufacturer, no tuner is going to hire you until you are time serviced if your looking at being a mechanic although most manufacturers don't have mechanics anymore they are fitters who simply replace broken bits with new bits.

Parts is more difficult than a fitter because you pretty much have to know the fitters job too, for example they ask you to order a flywheel, you need to know what else they need, like bolts, dowls etc. You get a job card with a description of whats wrong with car, you need to know what parts are likely to be needed so you can order them in so the customer doesnt have to come back twice etc.

I started off in sales, which is great until you end up scrapping with other sales people over whos sale is whos. Good money in sales though

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hows about learning how to paint and opening up a bodyshop?

You can learn upholstery at college as well these days...

As you will see from my website...I set up my interior business earlier this year but have been working in the industry since I was 16...

www.lsc-interiors.co.uk

anythings possible mate

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, skillz customs is right near me. and he offerd me a job but at natinal wage :eek: but said there a college near me. its a 2 year night time course. so im looking in to that tho interiors/upolstry would be good. deff somat to look into that. tho i would like the paint side of it

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know its slightly different, but i was in the motor trade for 5 and bit years as a motorbike mechanic... was good while i done it and obviously the bikes was a big plus point but the money was never there so left and now change completly. Saying that though we always had the image car mechanics got paid more than us anyway.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I'm a car mechanic, at a main dealer and the wages are nothin to shout about:mad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im in the car industry, I do all the events for new cars, shows, launch's, tv programmes, its an awsome job, but it seems whatever you do in the car industry the money is pretty pants!!!

:boogy:

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
i actually get paid very well for a car mechanic but then i m working 6 days a week and maybe 12 hours a day as well so its justified but sometimes i just want home so the moneys no good if you dont have time to enjoy it:shakehead:

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Working in the motor trade is always long hours and its def a industry that the more you put in the more you get out.

I work in Car Sales for SEAT, 5 1/2 days a week with only 20 days holiday a year but its good pay.

Scottish girls advice is spot on.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Im an AA patrol and the money is very good, much more than any main dealer pays. The days can be very long and you have to work in all weathers and it can be a bit dangerous too. You will need to be qualified and working in the trade for at least 5 years though. If you really want to get into the motor trade, which most people in it will advise against, i would sugest getting an apprenticeship in a body shop it seems like they are always in big demand. Its what i would have done if i could do it again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
scottish girl is right a good parts person makes a huge difference, iv worked with some people that will order just one bit and dont think/know/ask to make sure its all done in one go... all has a knock on affect. As a mechanic i hated it when it was almost like i was getting the blame by my own company that a guys tyre had worn out!!!! or when i found a problem but they just wouldnt accept the outcome.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I dont want to sound too negative because I have been one of the few lucky ones it the motor trade, I served my apprenticeship with a large fleet company as a mechanic and now I run one of the workshops. But my experience from dealing with and getting to know guys who have come from main dealers etc is to stay well clear of the motor trade altogether!! Keep cars as a hobby, you'll enjoy them much more! :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
I dont want to sound too negative because I have been one of the few lucky ones it the motor trade, I served my apprenticeship with a large fleet company as a mechanic and now I run one of the workshops. But my experience from dealing with and getting to know guys who have come from main dealers etc is to stay well clear of the motor trade altogether!! Keep cars as a hobby, you'll enjoy them much more! :bigthumb:
:iagree: one of the reasons i became a car mechanic was so i could work on my own cars but bythe time you have finished the customers cars you cant be arsed or have the time to fix your own:shakehead:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah i agree, i may sound like it not worth it but i enjoyed my time and the job, but found after 5/6 days a week surrounded by bikes i didnt want to ride them on days off or watch racing on tv.... now iv stopped i got the passion back and enjoy them a whole lot more

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
:iagree: Don't mix up your hobbies and work. You just end up losing your hobby and with a job you get sick of.
Ring up Stringfellow and tell him that :D

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive been looking into somat in motorsport, looking at some short term/ part time courses at a college not to far from e. so goin to see what that throws up

cheers for ur comments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts