Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when the car was standard, i was getting around 300ish to a tank of v-power. Now that I have done catback, de-cat, downpipe, sparks, boost controller and induction... i am looking at around just over 200 from a tank. :eek:

Seriously, i would have not thought that mods that increased my power by maybe 40-50 bhp, would have knocked a 3rd off my petrol consumption.

What the hell is this car gonna do per tank, when I have the work finished and get her up to 400bhp...

either that, or perhaps my car is running real bad to get that kind of usage.

any thoughts ?
:confused:

oh btw, the car runs sweeeeeeeet :boogy:

·
Salad Dodger
2,345 Posts
lol welcome to skyline ownership :D

Right lambda sensor is the little three wired sensor sitting in the top of your turbo elbow.

Somethimes if these go then they cause the engine to overfuel and therefore your consumption goes out the window, i replaced mine awhile back after i had the same problem.

I used the car for about 3 wks with the lambda sensor unplugged, fuel consumption was better so i ordered a new sensor.

·
Salad Dodger
2,345 Posts
I bought from here: http://www.justlambda.co.uk/

i cant link the direct page but, on the lefthandside, go down to Car Manufacturers 'M' onwards, select nissan and then scroll down the page to skyline, there is a specific link to a bosch sensor.

About £65 delivered i think.

DONT bother with universal £20->£30 sensors from other places, you'll only regret it in a few months.

That is if it is your lambda sensor :)

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
The car will be seriously overfuelling because of your modifications if it isn't your lambda. Though when the sensor goes, the car becomes a pig to drive if you can drive it at all below 3600rpm as I've been told thats when the ECU stops listening to the sensor.

I would suggest some form of aftermarket ECU control to lean the mixture out a bit. Then take it to a tuner for mapping. Don't attempt to map it yourself unless you have all the gear and a bloody good idea of it all.

For reference, my car will get 260 miles on a mix of gentle driving and one or two 'bursts' but nothing too silly. 160 if it's pedal to the metal week. :D

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
Spearmint said:
For reference, my car will get 260 miles on a mix of gentle driving and one or two 'bursts' but nothing too silly. 160 if it's pedal to the metal week. :D
I'm getting an average of 19mpg since my mods, maybe 220 to a tank

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
My theory on this is down to the Billet Turbo being such a light spool up, it probably saps very little energy with gentle driving.

What I mean by that is nothing over 4000 revs, no boost and mainly long A-road / Motorway journeys.

·
Salad Dodger
2,345 Posts
Andy M GTS said:
yep 220-240 without the red light coming on(if it actually works)

Andy
I've still not discovered if i have a light / if it works, in 18+ months of ownership. I must drive around a petrol station when i get really low and see if this fabled light actually exists on my car lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts