Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I havent been on for a while but ive now been given a task,
B3csy my mrs... her R32 GTST hasnt been used much of late but now we have started to run about in it and... its started to spluter every now and then around 3K rpm but has also spluttered to a stop a couple of times on a run from her house to mine.
The car has run spot on since ive known it which is about 3 year but hasnt been fully serviced in this time, I was thinking.... maybe hoping its just the spark plugs but is this likely? The fuel pump and filter where reportadle changed just before i became involved about 3 year back,
The car is a 1992 RB20DET
with an uprated exhaust, intercooler and a HKS mushroom style air filter.
Could it be the MAF? A coil pack? Are there any tests to see if it is?
On my Audi the coil packs just fail so you unplug them one at a time and see which makes no diffrence but this at the moment is an intermitant fault.
Please help !
Ive got 2 inch of snow to clear off the car before i even get started !

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Air flow meter... ??

Just reread your post and you said you havent serviced it???

Get it serviced, Brand new plugs, fuel filter, oil etc etc and then come back if the problem persists

:cheers:

·
AKA The Torque Monster
1,096 Posts
Had the same prob with mine a few years back. AFM's is your prob mate. Try spray them with carb cleaner and they should run for a while. If so you know your prob.

·
Registered
40 Posts
as stated above, afm will be filthy, if it doesn't help after you've cleaned it, maybe a set of new coil packs will help?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Why has it no been serviced for 3 years Arhhhhhhhhh! Regarless.

Are coil packs standard? What's your fuel econamy like?

I would do service.

Afm, coilpacks.

Cheapest route.

Normally once you have to start cleaning your afm there pritty much buggered.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Service your damn car :spank:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry guys...
by not serviced i mean i have cleaned the hks eliment and changed the oil (car has covered 18k in the 3 years)
But when i removed a spark plug to get the part number nobody seemed to recognise it.
Ive had a poke about today and the wires to the coil packs looks intacted, I cleaned out the throtle body with carb cleaner, I removed a plug again to get the part code ...
NGK R Iritop 7 H2Z9 Japan
thats everything on the plug.
Im not realy up to speed with Jap cars yet.
Is the AFM directly under the air filter?
With VAG cars you never ever spray them with anything as the die as a result.
Should i remove it to clean it or remove the filter and spray cleaner down down it and the intake pipe?
Also when i had put the car back together I left it to warm up fully while i cleared my drive of ice and snow ( my private lane so aparently my job to clear it ) after ten mins the car just cut out, When i went back to it to fire it up again ... first turn of the key, but was like it was on cold start again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From reading that... i would say thats the fault.
I would also say a few people know a fair bit more than me !
Where would sell a new AFM? Im guessing from fitting a new one to my Audi they will not be cheap?
I would love to fix/ have the AFM fixed if it is a soldering dry joint rather than component failer.
Does anywhere do this? Has anybody done this?
On my audi there is a cheeky way to check if the AFM is a on its way out... unplug it , if it runs better, thats the fault. But im guessing this doesnt work here.
The plan is to order some new spark plugs and all the other service parts anyway as its over due. But if this is the true fault I need to adress it !
Thanks James for pointing me in the right direction !

·
bla
17,374 Posts
AFMs arent expensive. Try getting a second hand one from either JDM garage or GTR shop

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
AFM about £109 for a second hand one from JDM Garage

As said before you could trying cleaning it but ill bet you its buggered!!!

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I looked ****ing everywhere for one even ebay

The cheapest I found was that

Oh well you win some you lose some i didnt actually pay for it any way but for future ref where do you get yours then????

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
I looked ****ing everywhere for one even ebay

The cheapest I found was that

Oh well you win some you lose some i didnt actually pay for it any way but for future ref where do you get yours then????
:cool: on here mate and via a skyline garage as well buddy :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts